how to buy ozone cartridge replacement?

Our general stance is that Ozone or UV systems are not needed in typical outdoor residential pools and are a waste of money, our general advice to those that have already invested in them is to disconnect them when it comes time to replace components.

Is the ozone unit for your hot tub or your pool?

- - - Updated - - -

If it's for the hot tub, contact the hot tub manufacturer for the correct part replacement.

A quick search online of the Vita spa line of hot tubs shows that they use the CleanZone ozone cartridge generator (plasma gap corona discharge) made by MAAX Spas. However, it doesn't appear that the units are available for online purchase and that you need to go through your hot tub distributor to get a replacement unit.

An annual replacement schedule on an ozone generator could be an expensive proposition. Unfortunately there is no easy way to know if a unit is generating ozone so you're stuck with the expensive/frequent replacement cycle particularly if you are using the ozone generator as the means for regenerating your bromine sanitizer levels from a bromide bank in the water.

You might be interested in our article on how to convert a hot tub to chlorine which is A LOT cheaper to run than a bromine spa - How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Many TFP hot tub owners prefer the dichlor-then-bleach method as it is a lot easier to implement and test for and uses the same chemicals and test kit as the pool does.

A quick search online of the Vita spa line of hot tubs shows that they use the CleanZone ozone cartridge generator (plasma gap corona discharge) made by MAAX Spas. However, it doesn't appear that the units are available for online purchase and that you need to go through your hot tub distributor to get a replacement unit.

An annual replacement schedule on an ozone generator could be an expensive proposition. Unfortunately there is no easy way to know if a unit is generating ozone so you're stuck with the expensive/frequent replacement cycle particularly if you are using the ozone generator as the means for regenerating your bromine sanitizer levels from a bromide bank in the water.

You might be interested in our article on how to convert a hot tub to chlorine which is A LOT cheaper to run than a bromine spa - How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Many TFP hot tub owners prefer the dichlor-then-bleach method as it is a lot easier to implement and test for and uses the same chemicals and test kit as the pool does.

I find bromine/chlorine to be harsh on skin- the ozonator is working (making bubbles) so I just want to get some sanitation out of it (I am sure i's not been serviced for years) to be able to reduce the bromine level

Bubbles are not an indication the unit is producing ozone. It's an air flow-thru unit so it will suck in air and make bubbles anytime.

Also, ozone by itself is not an appropriate spa sanitizer. It's pathogen kill times are too slow and lack of residual concentration in the water make it ineffective. You are st risk of developing pseudomonas (i.e., hot tub rash) or some other nasty pathogens. If you want to use a halogen free spa product you can try the Nature2 mineral system which uses silver ions in conjunction with MPS. It's the only non-halogen based sanitizer aside from baquacil that the EPA allows.

Bubbles are not an indication the unit is producing ozone. It's an air flow-thru unit so it will suck in air and make bubbles anytime.

Also, ozone by itself is not an appropriate spa sanitizer. It's pathogen kill times are too slow and lack of residual concentration in the water make it ineffective. You are st risk of developing pseudomonas (i.e., hot tub rash) or some other nasty pathogens. If you want to use a halogen free spa product you can try the Nature2 mineral system which uses silver ions in conjunction with MPS. It's the only non-halogen based sanitizer aside from baquacil that the EPA allows.

I understand neither of these solutions totally eliminate the need for halogens- just greatly reduce it. Nature2 seems interesting- my goal is to get away with 1 ppm bromine

Ozone does little or nothing to allow you to run lower bromine levels, what it primarily does is help oxidize bather waste faster so you consume less bromine in total.

In other words it allows you to use less bromine / it also helps reactivate your bromine, but does not allow you to run at a lower ppm bromine effectively.

Ike

p.s. just to clear things up I am not against having an ozonator in a hot tub, I have one in mine, but also have an SWG so run chlorine plus ozone

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.