Question about lighting

Hello,
I have a 25,00 gallon pool that was built in 1976. The light in the pool does not work and/or I cannot find any switch in the house or in the yard that turns on the pool light. It is a single bulb in the deep end of the pool. Does anyone have any insight as to what type of switch I should be looking for or what type of bulb I should buy to replace it? The previous owner is AWOL, so that is not an option. There are no records anywhere about the house or pool.

Thanks for any insight!

Susan,

The first thing you would want to find would be a junction box. Normally found at the end of the pool where the light is. Usually about a 18" or so above the deck. Often looks like a little box on the end of two PVC conduits, just sticking up in the air.

If the pool light and your equipment pad are located at the same end of the pool then they may have run the light's wiring directly to the electrical box at your pad.

If you have a diving board, the junction box will sometimes be under it.

Let us know what you find.

Jim R.

In a 1976 vintage pool the light swich can be almost anywhere. Even inside the home near a door. Look for small electrical boxes with doors near the equipment pad. Is the pool run off a subpanel? Is there a spa? It may be you flip a breaker in the sub panel to operate the lights.

It is extremely important that 120 volt pool lights be protected by a GFCI. If you don't know or have a doubt, its worth the money to have an experienced pool electrician come look at your system find the light switch and install a GFCI. A GFCI is important because they shut off power almost instantly if there is current leakage on the line, so fast most humans never even feel a shock. They are required by code now but did not exist in 1976.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.