Above Ground Equipment Sanity Check!

Apr 18, 2014
Reisterstown, MD
Hey folks,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

My wife and I are taking advantage of the end-of-season savings to finally have our pool installed.

This is what we've settled on:

Sharkline Matrix - 24' Round ~13500 Gallons

Hayward SP15922S 1HP Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed

Hayward SwimClear C200S Single Element Cartridge Filter, 200 Square Feet

Hayward AQR15 AquaRite 40K Gallons

FlowVis In-Line Flow Meter

Rigid Plumbing

Now my pool dealer/installer is balking at the filter and SWCG, saying that they're in ground systems and/or too big.

I selected these over-sized units based on the suggestions I've found here and elsewhere. This with the understanding that they'll work fine with my AGP.

I still feel comfortable with these selections (maybe they're even a little small :)) but could really use some sage advice and a sanity check right now. Please?

I dunno.....can you ever go too big on a SWG?? I don't *think* so! Many inground pools are the same gallons as your AGP so would he balk at putting it in then? This allows you to run it at a low setting and extend the lifespan of the system. They do have a finite lifespan of service so anything you can do to extend that just saves you time and money in the end.

The only thing I know about cartridge filters is that folks who have them say go as big as you can afford, as that will cut down on the time you have to spend cleaning it throughout the season.

The only time it makes a difference for in ground vs above ground is with the pump and that is because most pumps labeled as above ground pumps are not self priming and rely on gravity to get the water flowing. There is nothing that says you shouldn't use an in ground pump, filter, swg, ect with an above ground pool. I have found that some products labeled as "above ground" seem to be of lower quality materials with less features. I think you will be very happy with the swg and filter you have chosen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.