Is it really worth it??

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
Ao after a long time pool owner, and taking care of all the cleaning, balancing, etc..., I made the switch to the TFP method back in June when I had serious mustard/yellow algae. I SLAM'ed, and my water was so clear, it was awesome. Over a period of a 6 weeks, I must have let the FC drop, because the yellow was back. I began another SLAM, and after 2 weeks, it was super clear again. Three weeks later, the algea is back, and i have to do another SLAM. The issue with this whole method, is that you really need to dedicate more time than most people have to who do not follow TFP method. I mean if you mis a day or two of adding bleach, the algae comes back. In the past, I would add 3-5 pounds of dichlor weekly, and never had an issue. That cost me about $60/mo. Since I switched to TFP, I have had to SLAM 3 times in less than 4 months, and have spend about $90/mo. The one good thing is that my CYA has remained at 50 throughout the whole process.

Maybe the algae was worse this year than in the past, but I am seriously questioning whether this method is worth it. I am not trying to avoid the work to take care of the pool, but remenbering to add bleach every day or two, is hard for me. It seems like if I forget to add for a few days, I am back to SLAMing, and I was thinking that following TFP would actually save me money, not increase my cost by 50%.

I think this method is kinda like organic gardening. It is better for your landscape, but it takes more work, and is more expensive. In the long run you are better off, but getting there is a lot of work.

Any insight from the long time TFP followers would be great.

Adding the chlorine is part of my evening routine. To help me imprint it I put a note on my bathroom mirror-add chlorine. I give my animals their finial yummy for the day then I go turn on my pump and add the chlorine. I then go brush my teeth and get everyone ready for bed. I go back out and turn off the pump. It has become such a routine I do not even have to think about it.

It really sounds like you would be a wonderful candidate for SWG as seen here:

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

I have really been thinking about getting one but am worried with me having an above ground pool. The walls would be my only problem. It is not to where it is worth the worry for me so.........jugs away for me!

:kim:

You sound like a perfect candidate for a SWG or Stenner. Either way, it makes the TFP method a little less of a daily process.

That said, it is your pool and you can operate it anyway that makes you happy. For me, I actually enjoy making sure my chemicals are in balance. I have a SWG, so it takes me about an hour a week total, which includes everything. But I can certainly understand the other point of view.

Jim R.

If done properly, it is definitely not more expensive. Do you brush your pool? When you used the tabs, what other chemicals, including bagged shock and algaecide, did you use? (Did you include those in your monthly total?)

Something often overlooked, but not extremely time consuming in the grand scheme of things, is brushing the pool. Have you been doing that regularly? It's especially important when the pool isn't used as much in the cooler temps.

Do you really not have time in your daily routine for an extra 3-5 minutes it takes to add chlorine, if not then maybe an SWG might be better for you. Or better yet, you might consider making a life style adjustment. After all assuming you sleep for 8 hours per night, that leaves another 960 minutes in a day, and following the tfp method takes less than 1% of those minutes, perhaps even only 1/2 of 1%...

Ao after a long time pool owner, and taking care of all the cleaning, balancing, etc..., I made the switch to the TFP method back in June when I had serious mustard/yellow algae. I SLAM'ed, and my water was so clear, it was awesome. Over a period of a 6 weeks, I must have let the FC drop, because the yellow was back. I began another SLAM, and after 2 weeks, it was super clear again. Three weeks later, the algea is back, and i have to do another SLAM. The issue with this whole method, is that you really need to dedicate more time than most people have to who do not follow TFP method. I mean if you mis a day or two of adding bleach, the algae comes back. In the past, I would add 3-5 pounds of dichlor weekly, and never had an issue. That cost me about $60/mo. Since I switched to TFP, I have had to SLAM 3 times in less than 4 months, and have spend about $90/mo. The one good thing is that my CYA has remained at 50 throughout the whole process.

Maybe the algae was worse this year than in the past, but I am seriously questioning whether this method is worth it. I am not trying to avoid the work to take care of the pool, but remenbering to add bleach every day or two, is hard for me. It seems like if I forget to add for a few days, I am back to SLAMing, and I was thinking that following TFP would actually save me money, not increase my cost by 50%.

I think this method is kinda like organic gardening. It is better for your landscape, but it takes more work, and is more expensive. In the long run you are better off, but getting there is a lot of work.

Mustard algae is definitely an annoying problem because it's not necessarily hard to kill BUT it will always comes back once you get it. When doing a mustard algae SLAM, you do the regular SLAM and then elevate your FC to mustard algae shock levels for 24 hours (M/A FC shock level is 60% of CYA). Then you MUST MAINTAIN the higher M/A target FC levels to keep it at bay. Typically you can try to lower back down to the normal FC targets we recommend slowly over the course of a few weeks, but there's at least a 50/50 chance that the M/A will return.

So your problem is consistency. Your FC is getting too low and the yellow/mustard algae is returning. As others have stated, you would greatly benefit from an automated chlorine dosing system like a Stenner pump. It's a investment of money for sure, but one that will alleviate the burden of daily FC dosing by hand.

Other than that, I can only ask you this - what's your alternative?? Pool store advice to use bromine or metal algaecides? A pool service that will do the same as the pool store and ruin your pool while robbing you blind? Not too many options out there....

and I was thinking that following TFP would actually save me money

It would, but you're not...

I'm still pretty new to all of this, but within a couple of weeks my pool and I have already settled into a routine.

I've been loosing about 1ppm per day of FC, and 24oz of bleach puts it back. pH raises about 0.2 after a week or so.

I still choose to test evey day as it's all very new, but I see that going back to every 2 or 3 days next season, and just pouring in my 3 cups in the evening after work. Brush & vac on the weekend (no big trees here), and I've backwashed once - didn't need it , but I wanted to try it out...

I have more time putting everything away at night because of our evening winds than I do daily maintenance.

I'd really like to go with salt, but I'm really nervous about the steel pool walls and rusting due to inevitable liner leaks down the road.

Point is if you actually stick to it you likely will save money without a ton of effort. A LOT of people here seem to...

Well, I am not a "long time TFP follower," or a long time pool owner, but I feel inclined to comment. Thankfully, I have never had to deal with Pool Store issues, or pool maintenance company issues, because I studied this site before building.

I share your frustration. The TFP method can be a lot of work.

However ... having started my pool on TFP, I can say it was the clearest, most sparkly, odorless, and inviting pool I have ever seen. And our guests agreed. In the months since, I have experimented with pucks, specifically at the end of the season when Walmart quit stocking their Pool Chlorinating Liquid (which caused a knee-jerk reaction from me, because I panicked). What happened? Using the pucks, pool got cloudy, turned a bit greenish. Started looking like everyone else's pools. I had to add extra bleach and brush more to get it back.

This next part is not directed at you, rather just some info for all new pool owners on TFP, like me. Once you, your family, and your guests experience your true TFP pool, you will have raised the bar for their pool water quality standards. After that, you, your swimmers, and even casual onlookers will be able to discern poorer water quality in your pool, if you let it slip. Letting it slip hurts.

I guess my message is, find your level of quality and maintain it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.