Birthday Party for my Triplet Boys tomorrow and need assistance!

mwalling

Bronze Supporter
Sep 17, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello All,

New pool owner this summer and I have a quick question about Total Clorine and Free Clorine levels. I just got a report back today from a pool store which showed me the following:

TC 7.8
FC 4.9
pH 7.6
TA 70
CH 200

Last week's report was:

TC 3
FC 2.4
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 150

As a result of this earlier test, I added the prescribed amount of baking soda 5 days ago based on the Pool math calc.

I think my TC and FC issues are from running the pump at max for a couple of days to clear up a no see um's infiltration on the surface...it worked but had 5 chlorine tabs in dispenserpool results 1.jpg which increased output too much.

Question: Am I safe to let 15 eleven year olds swim tomorrow? Also, I'm open to other comments suggestions.

Thanks,!

Matt

Hi Matt! :wave: Well, let me give you the "TFP recommendation first" ..... you need your own test kit. :blah: ha. But really, you do. Pool store testing is horrible on a good day, even though you'd think they should be good at it. We recommend two choice - the Taylor K-2006C or TF-100 (which I have and recommend - link below).

Let's assume those were your numbers above. I'd say the following: TC = FC + CC. So above 7.8 - 4.9 = 2.9. You have 2.9 "Combined Chlorine" which is well over the TFP recommended limit of 0.5. That means your pool is having a hard time oxidizing the trash chlorine in your water and may be on the verge of an algae bloom (cloudy or green). Unfortunately that test did not record CYA (stabilizer) which is important to tell us how much FC should be in the water. Pool stores usually get that wrong anyways, so that's where your own test kit comes into play.

Matt, I would stop using tabs/pucks immediately because they do increase CYA to high levels that become a problem. Stick to regular bleach from HEB or Wal-Mart (Bravo or Great Value - plain). Add about one gallon this evening, then keep your FC between 5-7 for now.... IF you can even test it on your own. Please order one of those recommended test kits right away. Even though temps will come down soon, you can still maintain your water year-round and you'll have it ready for next spring. There's just no substitute for testing your own water. Hope that helps. Have a nice weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your original question.... yes, I think you can still swim as long as the water is clear and you can see the bottom. You have some chlorine, and hopefully you'll maintain it better with just regular bleach. Once you get the right test kit, you'll be able to adjust everything perfectly.

I agree with everything, EVERYTHING, Texas Splash says above. I have one major addition, while we think your CCs are high do not add a ton of chlorine before the party to get rid of them. Just do what Pat suggests above and next week after you get one of the recommended kits, read Pool School and switch to the TFP system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.