Just getting started and in a quandary

Sep 30, 2016
Lake Forest, CA
Can you help me decide? My wife and and just bought a house with a pool and inherited a pool guy who we kept on because I just didn't have the time to deal with it.

Now that I've learned so much more thanks largely to this forum, I know that I can do it myself and I also know my pool's chemistry is a disaster.

Here's what I have:
fc: 0
ta: 190
pH: 7.8
tc: 1100
cya: at least 400, but probably more

I know that I need to restart. My question is, should I drain, acid wash, and refill, or do RO?

The price ends up about the same when I factor in the cost of water. I like the idea of nice clean plaster, but I also like the idea of not wasting 23,000 gallons of water.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Doug

I would say that since RO is one of your selections, that would be best. Least waste of water and no concern of pool popping out of the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure it's a truck mounted RO. We recently had a person get RO from a smaller unit that used almost as much water as it cleaned.

I don't think you want to acid wash 3 year old plaster, that would be unnecessarily destructive (acid washing plaster is almost NEVER a good idea).

Unless the RO is a high quality commercial unit, I think it'll just be a waste. I would, if allowed, drain and refill (no acid wash).

The RO is one of the commercial units they bring in a trailer. I think we have decided against the acid wash, but we will do the RO. While our water district is willing to cut us a break, if we can get cleaner water (tap comes out about 250 CH) without sending 23,000 gallons down the drain, we'll pay the extra.

Thanks for your help.

I would make sure the RO company knows your expectations and the CH level you expect to be at when completed. It seems like a lot of these companies will keep running the machines so long as you keep paying instead of agreeing on a price to get you to a certain calcium level.

He knows. We have an agreed-upon price. He'll take my CH down to about 200, and CYA low enough to where I will need to add. He offered (for an up charge) to get the chemicals started once he finishes, but I told him I could take care of that part.

I'm so excited to get a fresh star and do it my way.

Another question: if my DE filter was cleaned a few weeks ago (not by me), should I do it with this nice pristine water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope you get a chance to read your water meter before and after the RO and let us know how much water in the pool gets replaced. Very interesting.

I'd be excited to get the fix underway as well. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.