How long to run the pump each day?

Aug 24, 2016
Lodi, CA
Any California peeps on here? As we transition into the fall months, I'm wondering how long to set the timers for my pump and vacuum to run each day? Temps have been in the 90s but will be dropping down to the 70/80 range. Nighttime temps get down to the 50s overnight. Pool specs are in my signature and my chlorine numbers are stable. Any input from the professionals on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I usually go down to 1 hour per day during the winter without any issues. When it is really cold, I will sometimes just shut off the pump for a couple of weeks.

The reason for this is that the power it takes to move water follows a 3rd power relationship.

Double the flow and you need 2x2x2 or 8x the amount of power. This is an oversimplification, but it translates largely in real life.

So, 80 GPM x 1 hour takes a lot more total power than 40 GPM for 2 hours.

Another way way to look at this is that at 1200 RPM, my filter pressure won't lift the needle off the 0 PSI mark. At 3x this RPM, it is at 20 PSI. So more than 20x the force with only 3x the speed.

So so why not run at the slowest speed? Well at some point the pump loses efficiency if you run it too slowly, and if you are trying to skim, you won't get enough flow to get the floating thinks off the surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.