Series of Videos on Blowing Out Lines for Complex Pool

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Hi all. I've seen a few questions about the sequence of blowing out lines here and am never confident enough to assist because I've always had a pool tech close.

But I found this series of videos on a pool with spa, in floor returns and two skimmers that I think might be useful to new closers.

There are a few TFP members who are very knowledgable on closings...please weigh in on the videos if there's info to add. I just though a general post might help those who, like me, are a bit intimidated by the sequence of blowing out the lines ;)

Here they are for any who want:

Winterize a Pool - Blow Out Lines, part 1 - YouTube is part one on a more complex pool with spa and floor jets. Let me see if I can dig up the next.

Here's the second part of blowing the lines:
Winterize a Pool - Blow Out Lines, part 2 - YouTube

And winterizing the filter, heater, pump:
Winterize a Pool - Filter System - YouTube

You were exactly who i was thinking of when I referred to experienced closers

Much appreciated! Believe it or not, this is only my 2nd season in closing my pool. Opened for the 3rd season. I watched the pool company do it the first year, then relied on reading and watching videos. Purchased a Cyclone and created a modified cover. It is basically like closing sprinklers, which I have been doing for years.

What we all have to remember is very simple. While the pool is opened, we have suction and returns (Water being pulled from pool and sent back to the pool). While closing, we are only concerned with moving water out of the pipes, basically the same way as the returns, but the opposite of the suction side (main drain and skimmers). Pool owners have to understand the plumbing associated with their pools. The pump configurations are all the same, so it is not very difficult to figure out, which is the main drain, skimmers and returns. I am lucky enough to have very organized plumbing and Jandy Valves that control almost every part of the pool and very easy to understand. It is really easy to help people with closing pools once I understand what is really at the equipment pad and what is in the pool. This is why I always ask first.

Thank you for your kind words! :lovetfp:

I added a video to the collection. This one is not that bad. The person is using a Cyclone. One thing I have found is that the 1.5" hose, having flexibility will bend to a 90 degree without kinking. You can place the hose in the suction and return side of the pump basket without any issues. There is enough volume in the cyclone that even if there is some air coming back, this will not make a difference. I definitely recommend against using the threaded plugs for IG pools. While water is gushing out of the return jet, the threaded plugs are hard to install. The black plugs are a lot easier install with goggles to ensure that no air leaks exist.

How to Blow Out Your Swimming Pools Plumbing Lines - YouTube

Interesting...thanks for the videos.

If one of the valves in the air-locked pipes develops a leak, that would allow water to creep back into the pipe. Just curious if that ever happens.

What's the consensus here about antifreeze in the lines? I noticed this same individual has a video where he talks about chemicals and uses pool-safe antifreeze in the lines.

I don't think there's a consensus per se. Some prefer the insurance, others feel if you've blown out te line correctly, you're good. If you do use the RV antifreeze (pink kind) then be sure to pump it off to waste in spring before putting your pool not full circulation mdf, as it skews tests/ccs a bit f much gets in the pool.

If one of the valves in the air-locked pipes develops a leak, that would allow water to creep back into the pipe. Just curious if that ever happens.

Yes, it does. My plumbing is designed so you can not shut off the main drain and skimmers at the same time (with pins). Although, I do change the pins at closing and it allows me to shut both off. The spot is marked with white paint (dots), so I do not forget where they go. The skimmers are closed and so is the main drain. So if the main drain valve leaks, the air can not enter into the skimmer area. Also, as added protection, I put a black rubber plug (#10) for me in the pump housing basket. This ensures that in the event the Jandy Valve fails, then the black plug, along with the skimmers being closed is added protection. Again, nothing is ever fool proof as both Jandy Valves can leak, but all the water was removed from skimmers as well.

I was real lucky in the design of the plumbing and how it came out. Still had problems with the PB, but at least they did this right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.