Small tear in vinyl liner - Trying to postpone replacement

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
My poolcleaner got stuck in a corner, and "cleaned" a hole in my liner. That was in 2015. I patched it, it held water the whole time, but the edges started to loosen up, and develop algea underneath.

To save the liner for one more year, I planned on replacing the patch this fall.
Got a new pach, new vinyl cement, and pulled off the old patch. Of course the water temerature fell 10 degrees in that time as well.
I tried to get the new patch down, but it kept gluing itself to itself, and was a mess. I couldn't get it on the tear to save my life. Of course I ran out of glue after the 2nt try.
2nd patch did not hold, water kept leaking, so I pulled that one off as well.

Right now its holding water since I used gorilla tape to hold the edges together. But I don't know it it will survive the winter.
Nobody is doing liner repairs in my area, and this time of year. Only replacements.

Any easy pool patch tips out there?
Or do I need to bite the bullet, order a new liner and have it installed next year?
The pool is 10 years old.

I don't think I am going to tell you anything you don't already know, but...cut a patch a bit larger than the area to be patched. You can use several patches on top of each other to help seal the edges. If you have any old liner, you can use that as a patch. Gently "smooth out" the patch while the glue is setting. Corners are tricky to patch. I would give it another try before ordering another liner. I used this one from Amazon (Boxer - 4 oz Vinyl Swimming Pool Liner Repair Kit) on a hole in the stairs, and it has worked for a year. I did have to put a patch on top of the edges of the original patch. Good luck!

Thanks, I ordered more glue, should be here monday.
I have decided to drain the pool, so I won't have to work while trying to stay under water.
If I'm lucky... third try is the charm.
After that, refill, rebalance, wait for temperature to get into the closing range, close!

I wouldn't drain the pool. If you do, it could tear the liner even more and unseat it, especially since it's held water for so long. If you do drain the pool, leave water over top of the hole so you're not doing it under water. Just leave water in the pool!!!!

Heikejohn,

After nine years on the forum and 215 posts, you still wont tell us the city and state in which you live? I assume it's not Fairbanks Alaska or you wouldn't be refilling. It would be nice to know, however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.