Got a pipe installed, should I add a return?

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I have a 20.6" x 42.6" pool that has one skimmer, one main drain and two returns. There is a third pipe run that used to be for some cleaner or something but it is currently closed off. I was thinking about making this another return and piping it into the existing returns. This will be really easy as it is right next to it.

I have no use for it otherwise, is there any benefit to this?
Otherwise, I was just going to cut the pipe by the filter side and cap it below ground.

Another skimmer would be my first choice but another return can be beneficial as well. I would use it for one or the other.

The hole is already in place in the wall for a return, it's just got the border plate but no cut in the liner. Making it a return would be super simple. I'm sure it can be a skimmer too, but it is extremely close to the existing skimmer (within a foot or so).

I have a 20.6" x 42.6" pool that has one skimmer, one main drain and two returns.
Is the MD plumbed through the skimmer or are there two separate lines going to the pump from each.

If there is fairly high head loss on the suction side (single run) and you reduce the head loss on the return side with another separate return, it is possible that the pump could start to cavitate.

Is the MD plumbed through the skimmer or are there two separate lines going to the pump from each.

If there is fairly high head loss on the suction side (single run) and you reduce the head loss on the return side with another separate return, it is possible that the pump could start to cavitate.

There are two pipes going up to a cut off valve that allows me to do 100% drain, 100% skimmer, or 50/50. Then there are two returns that go in via another pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.