High PH

Jul 9, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have read How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool) but I have a question... My pH is over 8. My HT is 410 gallons. Per the Pool Calculator, I am told to add 1 oz and 5 teaspoons of Muriatic acid to bring it to 7.0. I have been running it like the instructions stated for 30 minutes and it is still over 8. Do I continue adding acid unit it drops? How long should I wait between doses? Sorry for all the questions, but I really don't want to screw this up...

Yes, your pH must have been well above 8.0. That is the highest the test reads, but it could be a lot higher. Add acid, pump running and retest in 15 or 20 minutes. Repeat until the pH comes in to range on the test.

That's way too high for a hot tub. The aeration and outgassing of CO2 at that TA level is very high and causes pH to increase rapidly.

TFP recommends that hot tub owners reduce the TA to 50ppm and add 50ppm borates to the water. That drastically reduces the pH rise as the lower TA means less aqueous CO2 is generated and the borates act as a buffer against rising pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.