Is My Skimmer Winterized Properly?

Aug 7, 2016
Hampstead NH
Sorry for the reply to such an old message.

Here is my question:

I just had my inground pool winterized. I noticed my skimmer has 2 pipes. One they blew out and has one of those blue things screwed into it. The other one I'm not sure what it is for. It is filled with water and I am concerned about freezing. Before I call the company who closed it and asked. I was wondering if I could get your opinion on this. I was going to buy some pool antifreeze and drop it in the skimmer (i assumed they already did) but more peace of mind for me.

Anyhow, any ideas what that could be for based on the information I have? Pool level is about 18inches off patio level right now (lower than skimmer.) pipe in skimmer has water but isn't flooding into the skimmer, its staying where it is.

Hi srberube! :wave: I moved your post to a new thread of your own since that other one was so old. :) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect the pipe they cleared and plugged goes to your pump? It's possible that the unplugged line doesn't really go to anything. Do you have a main drain? Many pools have a 2-hole skimmer installed because that's what the installer had at the time - even if the pool didn't have a main drain for the 2nd line. Or some pools with a main drain are plumbed into the same line as the skimmer so that other hole is never needed. Lastly, some pools simply have the main drain line plugged later because of difficulties, so that hole becomes obsolete. Those may be some things to consider.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.