First pool store test

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
Hello, I had been testing my water with a cheap drop kit(holding out hope TF test kit
will ship to Canada soon)
I have been adding liquid chlorine or bleach each night, stays stable through the
night but burns off very quickly during the day. Water looks good and clear.
I have a 16x32 inground vinyl 16,500gal?. Hayward sand filter full sun.
Here are my test results
PH 7.9
Total Alkalinity 60
Calcium hardness 80
Total Disolved Solids 500
Free Chlorine 0 was 2 before I went to pool store
Total Chlorine 0 see above
Stabilize 0

I am thinking I need to get some stabilizer in the pool then raise my Alkalinity.
I will be adding a SWG and solar pannels within a few weeks. How should I proceed?
Thanks ,very helpful bunch!

haybird said:
I am thinking I need to get some stabilizer in the pool

You are thinking correctly! Think of CYA (stabilizer) as "Chlorine Sunscreen". Without it, a pool can go from shock level to zero in a few bright sunny hours...as you have learned.

With a CYA level around 20-30 you will be astounded at how much longer your chlorine lasts.

Thanks, if I start to raise my stabilizer tonight. Should I try to raise my alkalinity tomorrow.
Just not sure if you can add different chemical within short periods of time. From what I read
it will take a week to get the stabilizer up. Is it ok to add stabilizer at the skimmer slowly?
How slowly. Thanks

You can pour stabalizer into the skimmer fairly quickly, a steady stream but not just dumping it in. Keep in mind that when you add stabalizer to the skimmer you can't backwash for the next week. The alternative is to put the stabalizer into a sock and put the sock in the skimmer.

Thanks for the tips. I always thought my pool was around 22,000gallons.
I used the calculator I found here on a thread. The pool store test says its
16,500. Its a 16x32 oval with a 8ft deepend(any guesses). I don't want to add too much
stabilizer should I go with the 16,500?.Can I start to add baking soda tomorrow
to raise my alkalinity? Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.