Closing Questions Regarding Slam

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
I'm preparing to close for the first time. I'm using the PoolMath and Calculator to calculate the dosing for the SLAM...awesome tool btw. With my CYA at 48, the Calculator indicates that I need to bring FCL up to 19 ppm to achieve Shock level. PoolMath tells me I need to add 596 ounces of 8.25% Bleach to get to 19 ppm. I'm assuming that 596 is a weight value and NOT fluid ounces.

Am I doing this correctly?

I noticed that the "other effects" indicator says this much bleach will raise salt by 24 ppm. Should I be concerned by that? Does salt dissipate or does it accumulate each time I add bleach?

My levels today: FCL 5.6, CCL 0.1, PH 7.6, TA 105, CH 197, CYA 48, Pool Temp 66 degrees

I'm suspicious of test results accurate to 1ppm, but for the sake of discussion let's assume those are good numbers.

The oz is liquid, like a bottle of bleach is 128 oz. That amount of salt is so tiny it doesn't matter in the slightest. Keep in mind SWG pools have salt levels in the thousands of ppm.

Yes, Great Value bleach comes in 121 oz. But like kywildcats said it doesn't matter. If I were gifted a pallet of fresh 1/2 gallon bottles of bleach I would take them!

Yes, if the initial test was correct. Let that mix around for a little bit and retest if you like to confirm. I would prefer to see results from the Taylor test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.