What level will low TA cause issues

Jun 10, 2016
Texas
I have a SWG and noticed my TA was at 100, so I began adding muriatic acid over the last 3 days (3 cups per day) to bring the PH down from 8.0 to 7.2, while adding more aeration. Now the PH is at 7.2, the TA is 50.

Is this going to cause etching and other issues or is 50 still acceptable for an SWG? I stopped the extra water features as well now to cut back on aeration.

50-60 is often the right number for pools. My pool is great with TA at 50. Below 50 seems to be where the problems start for a majority of pools, I've seen very few pools successfully operate with TA at 40. The PH gets erratic and starts jumping around. With your TA now at 50 let your pH rise and see where it holds. You should find that it will stabilize at around 7.8. Don't lower it until it gets to 8.0 and see how it goes.

As for etching and/or scaling, keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent both. PoolMath will give you the number after you enter your test results. Tweak PH, TA and CH to keep it there. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Thank you for your help.

So once PH gets back up to 8.0, retest TA to see where it holds? Which I should see the TA stabilize around 7.8, right? Then, add 3 more cups of acid, and retest TA and PH or just PH?

For some background, I started lowering the TA because it seemed the PH was rising quicker than it used to.

Yes, high TA will push your pH up. Good move lowering TA. Lower TA will slow the PH rise. Monitor the pH, it will rise on its own over the next week or two. Hopefully it will stop around 7.7 or 7.8. If it gets to 8.0 then lower it to 7.6. TA should stay where it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.