Hubs Needs Convincing

Me and my hubs are in the process of getting estimates for a pool. We have talked to 3 contractors in the NWGA area and are going to look at pools next week. My hubs only cares about the $$ and I am more leaning toward something that looks like a resort pool. We both agree on the L lagoon shaped. We have a 5 and 8 year old. He does NOT want liner steps. We have heard mixed reviews about them. Some contractors don't like them, others prefer them. How can I win this battle? The look of them to me out ways any negatives. Should I just go with the grey plastic steps? I really like the benches that the liner can add and steps into the deep end.

This will fun to hear people's comments. I agree with you, though I do think that the grey color helps a lot. So gunite is out?

He doesn't want the plastic steps, or he doesn't want poured steps with a liner that fits over top?

We have poured concrete steps with a custom fit liner. There is a little grip to the liner on the step part. We love them. They look great and look integral to the pool and they aren't slippery. If you keep your chemistry in check your liner won't be slippery. If it is slippery you have an algae problem.

Me and my hubs are in the process of getting estimates for a pool. We have talked to 3 contractors in the NWGA area and are going to look at pools next week.

My hubs only cares about the $$ and I am more leaning toward something that looks like a resort pool...

He does NOT want...

How can I win this battle?

That's not a pool issue, it's a marriage issue. There are as many answers as there are marriages, and most of them will be wrong for yours.

He doesn't want the plastic steps, or he doesn't want poured steps with a liner that fits over top?

If you keep your chemistry in check your liner won't be slippery. If it is slippery you have an algae problem.

I second this. My only concern was would it be slippery and the PB said the same thing. Two seasons later and I've never had an issue. Same thing goes for my bench. I have vinyl over steel stairs so either way it comes down to chemistry. I know someone who has slippery steps but they don't use the TFP method.

I prefer the vinyl over concrete steps only because it could be customized. We're building soon and our design is corner steps with 8' benches coming off in both directions - level with the 2nd step. If going plastic, look for something that fits into a roman end - or one that has the seats in it (or a bench).

I'm getting the grippy steps in our liner - feels like orange peel.

This will fun to hear people's comments. I agree with you, though I do think that the grey color helps a lot. So gunite is out?

Gunite is out. I love the look of the in liner steps. Guess I opened a can of worms but the good thing is my hubs isn't on the forum, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, love this.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the option to customizing benches and even steps in the deep end.

He doesn't want liner steps...

I would much prefer the grey to the white steps. They make blue too so consider that if you want to match the liner to the steps. See harleysilo's link; it shows the blue steps (and grey). Just an FYI, my steel stairs covered with liner was an $800-$1000 more (can't remember exactly) so it's not cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try talking into it in cheaper in the long run argument. After 10-15 years many of those white plastic liner steps in my climate seem to start developing leaks and can be very expensive to replace vs the vinyl covered steps which would get recovered whenever you end up replacing your liner every X number of years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.