coming along

jinx

Jul 14, 2008
baltimore, hun.
I opened up my pool a week ago to alot of algae and green scum.
After 8 large jugs of clorox, everything died, turned brown and I have been steadily clearing it out with DE changes, brushing and waiting.

I went to the local store today to enjoy their free testing.
Here are my results-

temp 70
TDS 150
CYA - 29
Tot chlorine - 1.3
free chlorine - 1.3
ph 7.2
total alkalinity- 104
adjusted total alk - 95
total hardness - 86
optimizer -2
copper 0
iron 0
green algae none

Because they think that I am still running a bioguard pool system, they wrote up a menu of chemicals for me to purchase, some stabilizer, some balance pack things that raise Ph and Alkalinity. I get that, I need to do it, but for my bbb system.
I am in the process of clearing it out, time and keeping the chlorine up will be my methods.
anything else I should be concerned about?

thanks

Hi, jinx, (couldn't wait to say that :lol: )

You need more chlorine. You probably also need a little more CYA.....I wouldn't trust those test results.

If it were my pool, I owuld leave pH and TA alone. Pool School will give you some guidelines for normal levels.......chl;orine seems to be the big issue.

thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I just added 2 jugs of chlorine after a total disassembly of my DE grids. They are old, about to be replaced, and were fairly goo-ed up with green algae.
The cleaning dropped the initial working pressure of the punp from 14 to just below 10, volume is way up too, and that's what I need.

All last year, I worked with a low cya. My pool doesn't receive alot of sunlight, and my infrequent bleaching kept everything amazingly clear. I tested often and added when it needed it.

Interestingly, with my chlorine as it is now, there was a smell of it working on the junk in the pool. Hopefully, once it is clean, the stink will go away.

I suggest you get a top quality test kit of your own and end your dependance on the pool store. Some pool stores are great, but many give inaccurate test results. If you do your own testing with a top quality test kit you can be sure you are getting reliable numbers.

I know the pool store results don;t show it...but if your smelling chlorine after adding the two jugs...you may have high CC's. Just a thought in case you haven't gotten the water to shock level and held it long enough, you may still have algae that survived, but as jason says...the test kit really gives peace of mind.

My target FC is 5ppm and with 0.5CC or less I can barely smell any chlorine in or around the pool

I have the taylor kit, and I use it. k-2005 model
The only test I don't like from that is the cya cloudy test. It does seem as though their chlorine result is off.
So, I took a sample of water by the pool store on the way to the grocery. I walk out when they offer me their bs products. Besides, they still think that I am using baquacil because I'm in their computer system under the previous owner's address and pool system.

I tested again after the addition of the bleach. I definitely have strong chlorine readings, above 5, more like 7. I'll be checking again tomorrow evening to see if it holds up.

My issue is that with the dead algae being sucked into the DE filter, my psi went from 10 to 20 in three hours, just tonight, after a full tear down, cleaning and rebuild of the grid assembly. I inspected the grids, while they are old, there are no flaws. I put in the right amount of DE, its just getting clogged up faster than I can change the media.
Once its clean, it stays so, its the getting to that point that is rough. I tried vaccing with a stocking swapped in for the net and I can't get much at all, so I gave up. Time will tell.

sorry to hear about the filter...I had a DE previously and although we really liked it's ability to filter...once we had bad algae...that was enough to convince me to stick with a sand filter on our next pool...the beauty with sand it you just back wash and change the sand every 5yrs or so...but DE does filter way better

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.