Problems winterizing pool

DAR123

Sep 29, 2016
Hayden ID
Hi, I have a inground pool. 25,000 gal and this will be the 3rd year I am winterizing my pool myself. The first 2 years it went easy, no problems. This year I am running into an issue and it is very frustrating. I started going through my normal winterizing process. I started by hooking up the air compressor and air locked the main drains, no problems, then I blew out and sucked out the water at the skimmer, again no problems. I plugged the skimmer hole and brought the lines back up to 20-25psi to start to blow out the pool jets. Normally when I do this one jet starts blowing out air and I plug it and go down the line until all 4 jets are plugged.

This year no matter what I try I cannot get air to blow out the pool jets. Air blows out of the main drain and skimmer just fine but not the jets? Can anyone please let me know if they have run into this issue and if you have any suggestions.

I want to get the pool winterized and this is driving me nuts, thanks in advance Dan.

Hello Dan and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you've got the suction-side down and secured, so I'll ask the silly question just in case ..... since you're now trying to clear-out the pressure side (jets), is there any chance you still have a valve closed on that side? Maybe you could describe exactly how/where you are connecting air pressure to push along the pressure side towards the jets? That might help us a little more as well. Nice to have you with us.

I plugged the skimmer hole and brought the lines back up to 20-25psi to start to blow out the pool jets. Normally when I do this one jet starts blowing out air and I plug it and go down the line until all 4 jets are plugged. This year no matter what I try I cannot get air to blow out the pool jets. Air blows out of the main drain and skimmer just fine but not the jets? Can anyone please let me know if they have run into this issue and if you have any suggestions

Dan:

Welcome to TFP! Can you please add your signature and answer some of the questions that Texas Splash has? In order to remedy your problem, please do the following considering your suction side is completely closed off.

1) Plug off the suction side hole in the pump basket. This way when you push air through the system, no air will travel that way. You may have created an air lock at the main drain, but unless you have the skimmer side completely isolated, it is possible air is travelling that way, therefore losing volume of air. To guarantee air only travels to the return side, plug the suction side. First problem solved.

2) Next, please place multi-port valve on recirculate. Hook up air compressor. Now more forward blowing out the returns. Air can only go towards the returns and there should not be any obstructions. If you find you are still having trouble, then plug the first 2 returns lines on opposite sides closest to the pool. Air will bypass the first set of returns and move on to the last.

Please try this first and report back to us to see if everything worked out.

When I closed my pool, the Cyclone was running a little longer than usual and not only did the first return start bubbling, but the second and third started at the same time. This goes to show you that air moves water and continues down the path and you can easily close the returns this way and remove most of the water (if this makes sense).

Please describe location of returns and how many you have, including any shut off valves at equipment pad to isolate this area. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Below is the pump configuration:
1 Pump
1 Sand filter
1 Heat pump heater
1 Valve to regulate the main drain and skimmer
4 jets
1 skimmer
2 main drains at the bottom of the pool side by side.

To winterize I screw on a quick connect from the pump drain port to a large air compressor. This method has always worked well in the past and it hasn't taken very long to winterize the pool but this year is a struggle.

There is good pressure pushing air through the main drains and there is strong pressure pushing air out of the skimmer hole. But when I close the main drain and plug the skimmer hole, nothing?

I will try what you suggested and report back, thank you for your help.

Hello Dan and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you've got the suction-side down and secured, so I'll ask the silly question just in case ..... since you're now trying to clear-out the pressure side (jets), is there any chance you still have a valve closed on that side? Maybe you could describe exactly how/where you are connecting air pressure to push along the pressure side towards the jets? That might help us a little more as well. Nice to have you with us.

Dan:

You can also blow the lines out on filter, but I choose recirculate. Please make sure you remove the sight glass, drain cap and pressure gauge and winterize your multi-port valve. For future reference, please add your signature. BTW, are you working with one of the recommend test kits? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Do not forget to shut off the power to the pump, etc. at the equipment pad and the fuse box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.