New pool owner, pool needs draining?

Sep 27, 2016
Central Valley Ca
Hello forum glad to have found you and looks like ill be spending a lot of time on here learning so may as well get aquainted lol. Well long story short just moved to a place and the company is saying they reccomend draining and cleaning the pool etc. I have yet to post all the specs of the pool and equipment yet, so that Ill get to when im back home as well as ordering the test kit, of the two which would you most reccomend?

Taylor is the manufacturer of the kit and tests. The TF100 is a repackage of Taylor components with bottle sizes that are suited for use in the TFP Method. If you buy a K2006C, you'll likely end up needing more CYA reagent, DPD Powder, and R-0871 before too long.

But for me, I didn't care that I had to buy any more of that stuff later. The cost difference was minimal and I like having the Taylor box and kit. Mostly that is because I've been using a Taylor test kit of some kind for the last 20+ years.

I also agree with the Speedstir being a great addition. And the sample sizer. I absolutely love being able to grab a water sample and not have to eyeball the water level, and then go to my testing table and let the speedstir do all the stirring. I have to admit though, I didn't buy either of those things initially. I went without at first to save the cash, but quickly ordered them anyway.

Taylor is the manufacturer of the kit and tests. The TF100 is a repackage of Taylor components with bottle sizes that are suited for use in the TFP Method. If you buy a K2006C, you'll likely end up needing more CYA reagent, DPD Powder, and R-0871 before too long.

But for me, I didn't care that I had to buy any more of that stuff later. The cost difference was minimal and I like having the Taylor box and kit. Mostly that is because I've been using a Taylor test kit of some kind for the last 20+ years.

I also agree with the Speedstir being a great addition. And the sample sizer. I absolutely love being able to grab a water sample and not have to eyeball the water level, and then go to my testing table and let the speedstir do all the stirring. I have to admit though, I didn't buy either of those things initially. I went without at first to save the cash, but quickly ordered them anyway.

Ok all info is MUCH appreciated, being as I got the , " Fine the pool is YOURS you take care of it" last night.......so she cancelled the cleaning Appt. lol and i wont say it to her but ill admit to you guys, yeah im a TAD bit nervous.

Don't be.

Read pool school carefully, and don't be afraid to come to us immediately the moment anything looks "off". You'll end up with a pool snob significant other in no time. :)

Honestly, between the two, I'd go TF-100 and definitely add the speed-stir. The moment you get your testing kit, post a set of full numbers (and don't forget to add your pool details to your signature) and we'll get you on the right track in no time.

I too came here because Leslie's told me I needed to drain the pool. It turned out that I did have to do it after all, but now I know enough to avoid having to drain again for a long, long time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to add one more voice to the matter, I would pick the TF-100,for me it is about results not about looks of the box. Sure the K-2006 box looks neater with all the matching size bottle all in their little nooks. However when a test like the FAS-DPD chlorine test requires 5 drops of reagent A and maybe 10-20 drops of reagent B, why would you want matching size bottles? Instead the TF-100 which has a little less professional looking organizing box includes .75 ounces of reagent A and 2 ounces of reagent B.

Ike

(A and B are just for easy reading, actual numbers are R-0871 and R-0003, there is also R-0870 powder used in the test)

ALL advice is needed and welcomed, so ill give a update after a lot of nerves and prayers last night the original guy who inspected the pool and knew everything in and out has said he will help me drain and fill etc, illl be taking TONS of notes heck probly even video it.......But first things first, what things should i ask the city as far as where to drain, water level line etc.........and i know from him mentioning beffore we need a different drain at bottom per new california regulations and someone getting sucked in? as well as a new light, so your reccomendations........

Start with some Google searches for your city/county. Most of them have a "so you want to drain your pool" flyer that talks about requirements. Then call your water department and let them know you'd like to drain/fill, and tell them how much water you'll need. See if they have any limitations or other issues with it (sometimes, they'll grant you a discount once in a while).

With regards to your light/drain - unless you're remodeling (or have serious concerns), the drain may be fine as is. What does the current drain look like?
The light - what is wrong with it?

TF-100 and speedstir.

So, what does the pool look like right now? Is it a green swamp? Is the plaster stained? Current code may dictate that new construction have two main drains several feet a part. I don't think that it would require you to go back and change it. That sounds like an expensive repair. I wonder if you need a new light BULB.....

TF-100 and speedstir.

So, what does the pool look like right now? Is it a green swamp? Is the plaster stained? Current code may dictate that new construction have two main drains several feet a part. I don't think that it would require you to go back and change it. That sounds like an expensive repair. I wonder if you need a new light BULB.....

Well ill check with the city on pools age etc as im curious but maybe 30 years is my guess based on the guy that built it which thankfully was considered the best pool builder. Went ahead with the drain and fill, we are code compliant with the pool drain, whew less cost lol, we are changing the pool light and gasket. The pool guy that originally inspected it knew his stuff backword and forward so I was comfortable with him and trusted him. Heck had him his wife and son over for bbq and beer that night lol. I may have a new BFF, so today at some point well finish the fill. Older pool but built by a master pool builder plaster has held up remarkably well for its age. I even added some stats to my Sig, slowly learning

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.