Pump losing power

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hi I have a Hayward 2 speed pump for my above ground pool. I usually run it on low unless sweeping or adding chemicals. Lately I've been coming outside to find my pool running on low as usual but barely any water coming out and the basket is no longer Primed. if I run it on high if performs as well as it should when it's on low. I checked my lines and nothing is clogged but one thing I did notice that I never noticed before is that where the power switch is for the pump I can feel air coming out. Is that normal and I'm not just never noticed? Why else might my pump be losing power? The pressure gauge on the filter housing is still the same as it always is when running on high. Any advice is appreciated thank you

You don't mention the pump model in your post. If you fill your signature with pool info & model numbers and other info per the suggestions. It can help us easily identify what equipment you have installed.

Back to your question. There is a mechanical seal between the pump housing and the motor. If the seal was bad you would get water leaking out, not air in the pump. The Hayward pumps do have a fan in the back near the speed/off switch that will blow air to cool the motor. This is normal, it is direct drive off the motor shaft and air flow will change based on speed. You probably just never noticed it.

Air in the basket usually works its way out under normal conditions. Air in the basket almost always means air is getting in from somewhere, aka a leak. It could be your basket cover gasket, pinhole in your suction line, poor connection between hose & fittings, too low of water in your pool, etc. I would go out with a screwdriver and make sure the clamps are tight (remember too tight is broke, lol). Take the basket cover off & grease (with silicone) the o-ring. Look for cracks in the basket housing/cover. Unplug the pump!! and see if you can feel around the impeller inlet to see if there is gunk in there and if it spins freely. Check to make sure all your valves are all the way open before you restart.

I have a 2HP Hayward pump and found that I have to keep the pool water level higher than "normal" because the pump will suck too much water from the skimmer and pull air into the suction line. Most AGP pumps sit below water level and therefore there is actually pressure at the basket inlet and not a vacuum. This is from the head rise up to the pool water level and the relatively short suction hose length.

If you can, post a picture of your setup and maybe we can help you diagnose it more if those above suggestions don't work out. Keep us posted on your findings.

- Dave -

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.