No Pressure and empty looking glass

Mctwist937

Jun 5, 2016
Orange, CT
Hello -

My first summer with a pool. Thanks for the SLAM advice that really kept it clean all summer. Getting ready to close now. I noticed that my pressure gauge was reading zero, and that my looking glass was 2/3 empty and had no water flow. When i backwash I get water flow in there (i forgot to check the pressure during backwash), when i put it back on filter the looking glass empties out.

I have a hayward superpump single speed, and a hayward S200 sand filter. 3 returns, 1 skimmer, no main drain, multi-valve with the looking glass coming out the side and the pressure gauge coming out the side. i had the sand checked last year when i bought the house and they said it was good and had a few years left. The water still circulates at what appears to be its normal thrust from all 3 returns. The pump fills itself with water when its turned on, its not low or doesnt otherwise seem how it seems when there is air in the lines.

I am just trying to include as much random info as i can think that might be helpful. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Dan

I have the same sand filter but the 244 model.

You won't see water going through the sight glass unless back washing.
My multiport valve was replaced last may and I have not backwashed it yet.
the sight glass is bone dry. This is normal.

You should get that pressure gauge replaced though. TF test kits sells a very reasonably
priced glycerin filled gauge that is accurate and freezing weather resistant.

I have the same sand filter but the 244 model.

You won't see water going through the sight glass unless back washing.
My multiport valve was replaced last may and I have not backwashed it yet.
the sight glass is bone dry. This is normal.

You should get that pressure gauge replaced though. TF test kits sells a very reasonably
priced glycerin filled gauge that is accurate and freezing weather resistant.

Thanks for the reply. I had water flow going through the site glass all summer up until recently. Im not sure how much flow was going in there bu it was at least full at all times and now its almost empty. Interesting.

This is my 2nd pressure gauge this summer. I guess these things arent made to last.

Continuous flow through the glass would lose a lot of water. Most likely, the glass just retained water due to how the waste was plumbed where it did not drain after backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.