Solar cover - on or off during the day?

May 22, 2009
So, exactly WHEN are you supposed to use a solar cover? We have one, and decided to put in on last night after we brought the temp up with the heater.

Should we take it off during the day and only put it back on at night? Should we leave it on except when swimming?

I have to admit, I kinda don't want to leave it on during that day because one of the things I love it to look at my pool and see the sparkly water.

But then again, the SC is such a pain in the butt, I don't want to fool with putting it on and taking it off all the time.

During the spring and fall, mine is on except when we are swimming to maintain and add to the heat. Mine is clear, and a sunny day can add up to 3 degrees to the water. Right now we are in transition season, so I take it partly off during the heat of the afternoon so the pool does not get too hot for our afternoon swim. In the high heat of Texas summer, it looks like we will be taking it off and packing it up for the summer (some time soon) as the sun alone is enough to keep it more than hot, and we need the nighttime cooling. It will come out again around mid-Sept. Definitely keep it on at night to maintain your heat, especially if you had to spend money to get the heat in there.

Of course in Ohio it's probably not quite as sunny as Texas.

This is only my first season with a cover, so i don't know what effect it will have later in the summer; but so far I've just left it on, can't be bothered to keep shlepping it on and off all the time. The water is in the mid-80s right now.
--paulr

With an AG pool, you will still get some heat loss at night. The solar cover reduces it. If you get some good sunny days and your cover is clear or near-clear, you may actually gain a degree or two during the day- every degree that you avoid losing or even maybe gain from the sun is one less you have to pay for with the heater.

we take ours off during the day and let the liner warm the pool water bottom up...a solar is by far a better insulator than heater, unless you have a clear cover than allows the liner to absorb the suns UV rays.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.