Problems with sheer descent installation on a curve?

Sep 28, 2016
katy, TX
We just finished an extensive pool remodel that included adding walls, bubblers, a fire pit, tanning ledge, and a sheer descent. The sheer descent is on a curve and the water comes out in multiple streams of varying widths, and my pool contractor is telling me there is nothing he can do and that is as good as it is going to get. Based on the picture included, was the sheer descent installed properly? I was under the impression that it should be a solid sheet of water to be considered a sheer descent.

sheer.jpg

I am considering having another pool company come out to look at it and to give me a quote on fixing it, but wanted to try to get some feedback on if it is normal before wasting their time.

I think you are right, he told me that sheer descents shouldn't be designed on a curve and that he just builds what is on the plans. I then pointed out that his designer drew the plans, and he changed his tune to say it looks great and there is nothing he can do to fix it.

I have a curved sheer descent that was cut to the curve on site. It had similar issues.

If you look in the slot, you will see vertical spacers. I took a thin screwdriver and popped the ones near the front out - especially right in front of where the water separates. You may have to do this several times to get it to flow all the way across. It will still have some overlap of the water as this is due to the curve - but you can achieve a solid sheet of water.

Also, be sure there are no burrs in the leading edge - top or bottom.

Mine has been in for 17 years - I popped the spacers out in the first month. I would think the PB would know this - but I guess I'm giving them too much credit......

Thanks for the replies guys, the PB sent someone out to cut back the supports and he said he cut them back as far as he could, but it still looks like the picture above. I checked the front for debris, and i don't think flow is the issue since I have a variable speed 2.5 HP pump running just the sheer and 2 bubblers that are visible in the picture.

I think my PB bought the wrong sheer for my installation and now it can't be cut back enough to function properly. :(

What is the radius of the curve?
How deep is it from the front center to the rear of the sheer descent housing?
Is the height of the slot even and without nicks or burrs?
Have you looked through the instructions "gwegan" referenced above?
If you're able to shut the bubbles off, how does that affect the sheer?

If taking out the spacers didn't fix it, tell him it's unacceptable. The PB needs to fix or replace it.

I will have to take some measurements this evening to answer most questions, but the guy that cam out used a grinder to remove the spacers, and ended up putting some knicks in the lip that cause some variations in the water, but the spacers are the main issue. I did look at the Jandy sheer flyer referenced above (Thanks for that gwegan) and even sent a copy to my PB to refute his claim that they don't make a sheer for a curve and to point out that separate streams on a sheer is listed as a problem in the installation manual.

We always knocked out the spacers upon start-up, that was one of the procedures if the pool had a sheer decent, that should have been done by the builder when the pool was started up, sometimes a spacer would break off, but still stay stuck inside, you have to make sure that did not happen and inspect carefully.

Your pic shows exactly what it looks like when something is still stuck inside, get a hacksaw blade and see if you can sweep it across the slit and feel something still inside. we obviously did this while it was running and you can notice when you move a stuck one inside by the way it changes the water sheet pattern, we didn't stop until it was a clean flowing sheet from one side to the other.

A grinder should have NEVER been used to do that.
You have every right to expect the water sheet to flow evenly from end to end, it's not called the "uneven sheer decent" I am pretty sure the Jandy brochure does not show a pic that looks like your's, you should file a complaint with the contractors board (i am assuming Texas requires pool builders to be licensed) the builder knows it's not right, and instead of doing the right thing here, he is hoping you will believe his explanation and accept it the way it is, if builders knew there was a possibility of this happening when installing them they wouldn't use them, that's my opinion, every sheer decent that i encountered on a new start-up had to flow correctly before i left, and they did.

Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.