we have a Bee problem

Not many options with bees besides killing them or hoping they go away. They are attracted to the water source. Bee's can be safely killed with a mixture of hand-soap and water in a spray bottle. As you kill the foragers, fewer and fewer will return to the hive and that will signal the remaining bees to look somewhere else. Or, you can cover the pool in the hopes that they will find another, more plentiful sources of water and go there.

Can see the hive anywhere around? If they are honey bees, local apiaries will often come and remove them for you.

there are hives down the road from us about 1/2 a mile. we did the soap/water spray bottle and it worked but requires someone to stand guard over the pool 24/7. we are presently trying garlic powder and dryer sheets.
having some luck with the garlic powder. the bees won't land where there is garlic. the dryer sheets, well we just started testing that, so we aren't sure about those results.

there are hives down the road from us about 1/2 a mile. we did the soap/water spray bottle and it worked but requires someone to stand guard over the pool 24/7. we are presently trying garlic powder and dryer sheets.
having some luck with the garlic powder. the bees won't land where there is garlic. the dryer sheets, well we just started testing that, so we aren't sure about those results.

What kind of bees? Are these Carpenter bees or honey bees, or other? If they're carpenter bees, they do not sting and they burrow into wood such as fences. I have a problem in my yard but I finally got control of them this past year.

Never seen any coming for water though.

Ask the beekeeper that owns the Apiary down the road to provide water for their bees. This can be done with a bucket of water with a round piece of plywood with holes drilled through the plywood floating on the surface of the water to prevent the bees from drowning. Most beeks will do this if they are aware that their bees are annoying the neighbors.

Here is an example of one beekeepers watering system that I found.

https://cityboyhens.com/2014/05/01/making-a-water-source-for-your-honeybees/

For some reason, honey bees love chlorine and salt in their water. Some people have good luck with adding a few drops of lemongrass oil to a bucket of water with a float. The lemongrass oil smells like the pheromones that the bees use to attract the swarm to a new home. It may help lure the bees away from your pool and towards the water bucket provided for them. My bees will drink from a soaker hose or birdbath before flying 500 feet to the lake on my property. They will usually use the closest water source available.

I have not yet moved my two hives to my new home. I'm waiting for winter to move them when they are not foraging. I'll be setting up a birdbath/waterfall/bucket system close to my hives to try to keep the bees away from my pool. You can see an example of what I have in mind in this YouTube video. The sound of moving water also attracts the bees to a water source. Do you have room on your own property to set up a water garden/pond with a waterfall feature and some aquatic plants? If so, great information on creating a honeybee water garden can be found here.

A strong hive will use probably a quart of water each day, this is about 40,000 trips to the water source daily by the worker bees from each hive. I'm sure they are visiting your neighbors pools, the bayou, dripping faucets, and every other water source they can find also. If the beekeeper that owns the hives is not already providing a water source for the bees, then they are definitely adding to your problem. It is standard practice to provide water in an apiary.

Mrmrezg, you are super fortunate that Major in Ms is around for tips because I just learned new tricks here to try and I've been battling the bees for a good few years!

The beekeeper across the road from me does not take the issue seriously at all - I did approach him about it this year and mentioned they seem to need a better water source. His theory is there "must be something they need in your pool." Then he gave me some honey to shut me up ;)

Chlorine is like alcohol to them and salt is irresistible. Once they find you and communicate, you have a problem. Nonetheless, here are some tips I've used with varying degrees of minor success.

1. Hide pool noodles when not in use. This is their fav...color plus wet, chlorinated sponginess equals daiquiri to honeybees. I actually erected a tall cabinet to keep the noodles in. It helped forestall the "discovery" this year.

2. If you try the fountain/birdbath idea, place a sponge in it for them to and on...they don't like open water. And make sure you use the pool water...otherwise they'll bypass it and find the pool...which usually a few scouts will anyway.

3. Once a scout has found you, as sad as I am to say it, spray it with a mix of Dawn and water to kill it before it can share the news. Its the difference between killing one or having four dozen by the end of the day when there's a hive nearby. Early and consistent vigilance sounds cruel but is kinder in the long run.

4. An entomologist actually told me last year to beat the scouts to death violently, eg with a pool noodle, and that word would get back that we're hostile. We did give that a go, hated it, not entirely sure it worked but volume did reduce thereafter.

Avoid treating with Tempo as tough as it can be if you have folks with bee allergies around...the bees exposed could contaminate the hive.

They don't mean to sting but they can't really help it when they're trying to hang on to a noodle or raft and you move to purchase the same area. Odds of this spending increase with numbers.

I'm thinking about putting a water feature at front of house to waylay them next year, but have had a bee expert warn me that this may just draw more of them closer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.