Just ruined my second shirt pouring bleach...

Uavmx

Sep 5, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
What's the trick to not splash it?!? The first time I was rushing to put 3 whole bottles in while walking around the deep end. Then today, I slowed down, held it low to the water and it still splashed and got me. What are some tips and tricks for pouring bleach in and not ruining clothes?!?

First thing is always have your "pool clothes" on as even the most experienced of us tend to have some accidents. As for pouring bleach (or acid for that matter), always do it very slowly with the pump running and pour near the return jet(s). Keep the bottle opening as low as possible (close to the water) and take your time. Clothes can be replaced, but skin and care to eyesight is even more important. Take your time and be safe out there.

Wear pool clothes and you will NEVER get it on you! Wear your bestest, favorite shirt that your kids just gave you=you WILL get it on you :rolleyes:

I have a thick shirt that I keep by my chlorine that I put on over my "good" clothes if there is some reason I cannot change. That seems to work for me.

:kim:

I float the jug in the water to pour, the jug opening is less than inch above the water and no splash ever. Same for muriatic acid. And I usually add bleach topless. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"while walking around the deep end" -- the trick is NOT to do this. Instead, go to a return, kneel down in a comfortable and stable position, open the cap, reach the bottle down into the water, and tip it to slowly pour. The chlorine (or acid) shouldn't need to pour more than a few inches. You do have to slow down in any case; it should take a minute or so to pour a gallon in a nice smooth stream right into the return's flow.

Walking around IMO gives too many opportunities to trip, slip, or splash because you are pouring from too high up. The stream from the return will distribute it far better than you ever could walking around anyway.

I often pour the bleach underwater. Put it in a measuring cup, slowly submerge the cup entirely, and then pour. Just make sure your hand holding the cup is upstream in the circulation, and no problem. You can see the bleach pour out of the cup underwater. I started doing this when adding bleach or pool chlorine while the solar cover is on -- just folded back a small area of the cover, and did the underwater pour six inches to a foot under the water surface (I thought it would be better for the cover if it wasn't resting directly on a high chlorine concentration). I never get bleach on my skin doing this, judging by feel and smell. If I ever had to add MA (we've never needed to do this, so have no direct experience) I would be inclined to try the same underwater method.

I did get bleach spots on some pants this summer -- a few drops must have escaped while I was carrying the cup over to the pool. Old clothes would have been a good idea... oh well...

Pour it slowly, close to the water, in front of your return. No need to walk around with it.

I have ruined more clothes using bleach foamer to clean the kitchen sink than I have adding bleach to my pool. I did knock over a quart of bleach in the pool shed once. It really cleaned up the wooden shelf it was on, but it did a number on my pants

-dave

Splashing comes from pouring too quickly from an unvented bottle and/or pouring from too high above the water. You can vent the bottle by stabbing a hole in the bottom once you've turned it over. Bingo: the air has a way into the jug that doesn't interfere with the bleach coming out. Of course, adding sharp knives to this may not be the best thing to do. Be careful out there.

I just rest the bottle on the coping right above the return, try to pour without much splashing and cheerfully watch the jet dissipate the bleach. But our pool isn't all that big and doesn't take much bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.