Building 2nd Pool - Waterfall question

First Pool Judith

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2014
Georgetown, Texas
We've moved and are building our second pool. We're building the exact same pool as the first as far as size, shape etc. However, this pool will have an actual waterfall using the huge rocks in our backyard. We wanted to seal the rocks (top and bottom) but the pool guy said that the mason suggested we wait until the waterfall is constructed and then seal it. "Sealing it before may compromise the mortar when he's building it."

THOUGHTS?

Please make sure the PB uses a proper waterfall pump for the application. Too often PB's try to just slap on another pool pump to the build and pool pumps are high head (pressure) pumps while waterfall pumps are designed for open-pipe (low head), high flow rate applications. Take it from my experience where our pool's waterfall was installed with a GIANT 3HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump...it is way too powerful and I had to add extra shutoff valves to it to create enough back pressure to keep the pump from cavitating. Also, don't be talked into just splitting off some flow from the main pool pump to make the waterfall happen. If they do that, more often then not they have to rob so much water flow from the pool pump that very little water goes through the returns. The best design is a separate set of wall intakes to a properly sized waterfall pump with all the return water sent to the waterfall. They can even add an additional wall return in case you want to split the flow from the waterfall to a wall return to get the exact amount of splashiness and sound you like.

As for the rocks being sealed, I would agree with the recommendation to wait BUT, honestly, I have had my waterfall for years now with a salt pool and the stones are unsealed and there is no issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.