Sump pump for closed pool

razor

Sep 25, 2015
Columbus IN
I am going to use a sump pump to mix chemicals this winter as needed. What I was wondering what do people use on this forum that use a sump pump for that purpose use to protect the vinyl liner when the pump is in the pool. My pump is all metal on the bottom so I am concerned about damage to the liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not using a pump like you are planning, but I did recently acquire one to help with overflow issues during torrential rains like I've had recently.

So, to protect my fiberglass, I drilled 1.5 inch holes around the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket, and I'll place the pump inside of it so it is not in direct contact with the fiberglass and gel coating.

Use one of those plastic milk crates that holds 4 gallon of milk that you see laying around. That's what I use when I sit my pump on my cover in the winter. You can put bottles or milk containers in it, to help it stay standing up too.

Not sure I would use a sump pump.
I used a brand new one, purchased just for this1/2 hp a couple years ago to aerate my pool, let it run 48 hours which brought ph up from 7 to 7.8 in short order.
The next day I had a heavy black sticky film at the water line level half way around pool which was a pain in the ### to remove, and may have contributed to some water level liner fade, liner 2 years old.
The pumps are oil filled, lesson learned for me.

I was under the impression that if you bring you water up to slam level before you close for the winter, you do not need to add any bleach for the winter. I did this last year and opened up to a very clear pool. Some people, including myself do add Polyquat 60 before closing as well.

Here in Iowa,all I have done is wait till the temp of water stays at 60 or below, once I leave the heater off for the season.Usually mid to end of October .Raise FC level to SLAM level in accordance to my CYA level.I then add 60 algeacide, 16 oz for my pool.Let it circulate for a day,lower water with the pump set on waste to below skimmer, before pumps starts to suck air.
Remove more water to 6 inches below return fitting with another pump( not a sump pump), I use a small gas powered transfer pump with a hose into pool.
Disconnect everything inc. the sand filter and store in garage.I have had an issue where I drained the filter and left drain open and covered and the next spring had a leak in the seam of tank.Maybe overkill now, but sand is easily removed.Disconnect all lines to pool, vacuum water out of heater and cover.Plug return and plug front face of skimmer with plate, and this year put a 16 oz. bottle with 8 oz. RV antifreeze dropped into skimmer.Last year even with skimmer face blocked off" they aren't water proof" skimmer had a chance to get a block of ice in it, even with bottom connector open to the ground.Not going to chance it again.No trees, so I don't cover the pool anymore, too much work getting the snow build up off every time it snows.Next season usually all the levels of pool water are at near zero for me. But when you open early enough, before water gets above 60 deg. again and balance the chemicals, all should be fine.I have never had Algae issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.