First closing

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I've watched a lot of videos and printed out the Pool School "Closing an in ground pool" guide. I want to do the closing tomorrow.

I am comfortable with most of it, but the blowing out the lines is my biggest concern. I've seen many different ways to do it, and want to be sure I do this right. I have some pictures below of my equipment. There are two return lines, one skimmer, and one drain.

1) I've read you are suppose to bring the pool to slam levels, but on the guide it says to let it fall to half the levels. Is it OK to close if I bring it up to slam levels first? I brought it up yesterday and was planning on testing in the morning.

2) Is PolyQuat the only other chemical I need to add (outside of antifreeze in the lines) and chlorine?

3) I've heard mixed opinions about draining it below the skimmer, some say it is better to keep it up if you don't have tile and you properly blow out the lines, but many say to drop it down. The guide says to drain it, so I was planning on doing this. It seems having it drained would be better for telling when the returns are blown out.

4) Any chance that someone can explain it to me like I am a two year old how I would blow out the lines with this setup? I know I have a split for the drain skimmer going to the pool and the two returns. I seen people use a shop vac at the skimmer to blow out the return jets and then blowing from a gizmo to blow out to the pump. But then I also saw them blow from the filter out to the skimmer. As well as other ways.

5) What do I do with the main drain in the deep end? How do I ensure that is blown out and closed?

6) Are there any sanity checks I can do to make sure the lines are safe?

(The second pump is to an old cleaning system that is no longer installed, the line is there but it is blocked off in the pool and the liner is not cut where it was. I eventually want to get this removed and cut the pipe lower.)

Thanks a lot! You guys have been great making the first year of owning the pool pain free!

Chris, sorry to say I don't close my own pool...because I'm afraid of blowing out the lines ;)

I can offer second hand insight to the water level though:

Most here instruct to drain below the jets.
My pool techs in the case of my pool have never done that -- they blow out the lines with a pro air compressor, and the drain, and use duck plugs to seal the return jets. In my case, they tell me I need all the extra water pressure present by the high level to keep my liner in place due to water table. Using this approach, with a gizmo in the skimmer and a few gallons on antifreeze, has worked for me.

But there is another poster here who has worked in the industry who believes this is just laziness on the part of modern pool techs these days, and that the safer bet is to drain below the returns.

In the case of mesh covers, or solid covers with a mesh square, snowmelt or early winter rain will get back into the pool and raise the level. In my case, I have a drain surrounding my entire pool. So my only caveats is that if you drain below the returns, be sure those returns are still fully blown out and have duck plugs affixed properly...in other words, do not take false comfort in having dropped your water level and use the same level of care you would if you'd left the water high.

Hope that helps a bit. Sorry I couldn't elaborate on the lines.

Hi there. Have you seen this series of videos? It chronicles blowing out the lines on a fairly complex set up, so watching it should help you adopt the best way for your pool:

Winterize a Pool - Blow Out Lines, part 1 - YouTube is part one on a more complex pool with spa and floor jets. Let me see if I can dig up the next.

Here's the second part of blowing the lines:
Winterize a Pool - Blow Out Lines, part 2 - YouTube

And winterizing the filter, heater, pump:
Winterize a Pool - Filter System - YouTube

Hi there. Have you seen this series of videos?
Winterize a Pool - Blow Out Lines, part 1 - YouTube is part one on a more complex pool with spa and floor jets. Let me see if I can dig up the next.

Here's the second part of blowing the lines:
Winterize a Pool - Blow Out Lines, part 2 - YouTube

Yes. I watched pretty much every video on YouTube related to blowing lines. I have a feeling my 3.5hp shop vac won't handle the main drain and I will need a cyclone or compressor. The compressor would make it easier as I can blow everything from the pump. But without doing it from pump drain I don't know the best way to do the main drain and assure it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For questions # 1 & 2 above ..... yes, it's fine to increase FC to SLAM level first and let mix well for about 24 hours (or a little longer if you wish). This is to help ensure any excess organics are treated before closing. Once the SLAM level is achieved and held for a day or so, you want to let the FC level drop back down "before" adding the Polyquat 60. If you add the Poly 60 while the FC is still at SLAM level it will lose some of its effectiveness. If you chose to use a Poly 60 product, just check the ingredients to ensure it lists "Poly{oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)Ethylene (dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride}" at 60%. Hope that helps.

Yes. I watched pretty much every video on YouTube related to blowing lines. I have a feeling my 3.5hp shop vac won't handle the main drain and I will need a cyclone or compressor. The compressor would make it easier as I can blow everything from the pump. But without doing it from pump drain I don't know the best way to do the main drain and assure it will work.

So if you close all the other valves and blow through a gizmo, do you get air bubbles? (Gizmo= Amazon.com : Gizzmo 4102 Super Gizzmo in Big Deep Skimmers for Pool : Swimming Pool Covers : Patio, Lawn Garden)

Because my understanding was you then close the drain line and it air locks. But I'm not a doctor....;)

So if you close all the other valves and blow through a gizmo, do you get air bubbles? (Gizmo= Amazon.com : Gizzmo 4102 Super Gizzmo in Big Deep Skimmers for Pool : Swimming Pool Covers : Patio, Lawn Garden)

Because my understanding was you then close the drain line and it air locks. But I'm not a doctor....;)

I haven't tried yet. Was going to hook the shop vac up in a few hours and see if I can get through the main drain. My gut is it won't be strong enough especially if I do it from the skimmer. I got a gizmo just like that one but I picked up the one with a hole and cover so I can blow through the gizmo and it has adapter that connects easily with shop vac. Just not sure I have the pressure to do it. If not I was going to pick up a 6 gallon 150 psi compressor and hook it up to the bottom of the pump box. That I know will work but with shop vac I only have the skimmer I can easily hook it up. I was going to see if I have any pipe I can remove that will allow me to get in before the drain/skimmer switch so I can quickly close the main drain lever while there is air pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'll send you the mojo to get Er done ;) I have seen posts over the years where folks don't get enough air pressure from the shop vac in diving well depth pools, so your hunch may be correct.

My skimmer may be different from yours also, its a combo so main drain line connects, I believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.