Air leak between check valve and pump....Help!

samiguy

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2008
Charlotte NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Monarch ESC36 / ESC8000
Need a little help here. I just put in a new 2 speed pump, and am getting some bubbles showing thru the pump cover. Can see the bubbles coming in the inlet for the pump and none coming thru the check valve. It only does it on low speed and clears completely on high speed. It would appear that the leak is between the check valve and pump, but how do I find it? Appreciate any and all help.
Thanks,
Sami

Find what? there's nothing to find, it's low speed, high speeds little brother, any type of diagnostics, measurements (P.S.I.), valve adjustments for suction cleaners, heater operation, spa jets, etc, are done on high speed generally as a rule, looooow speed is for taking it easy, saving a few dollars, just circulating the water, it's not gonna be aggressive and fill the pump basket/lid area to the top with strong flowing water like high speed.

One of the things i like to do when checking out a pool is to run the pump on high, bleed the filter tank of any air, then turn the pump off, air leaks can reveal there location by any bubbles in the pump lid area, like under the lid itself, from the front inlet pipe into the pump, how much the filter tank may bleed down (blub blub..blub blub) does it blow the skimmer deck lid 20' into the air from a strong back flow of water, does it not pick up, or is it slow to prime the next day after sitting off overnight,etc (this is worst case scenario)

Or, after the pump is turned off does it hold a seal, and make no bleed down noise at all, no air bubbles appear under the pump lid, the water stays high up to the pump lid, and it starts up instantly the next day, with no priming delays (this is the best case scenario)

After working on thousands of pools over the years, i would say the time to really be concerned about air leaks would be if the pump no longer has the ability to prime on its own anymore, or if it takes a very long time to pick up prime, ( the garden hose pump basket filler people out there, you know who you are)

So...does your system hold a reasonably good seal? does it prime quickly? if so, don't become obsessed with an air leak witch hunt.

You guys were dead on this one!! I found the leak....I think. Used the flowing water over the area I suspected, and stopped the bubbles. Gonna use the shaving cream to confirm. Looks like it's at a connection where male to female screw connection with SCH 40, 2" PVC. Either I used too little or too much tape at the connection. Going to use the shaving cream to make sure it's the joint and not a pin-hole/crack. Please give me some hints on the proper amount of tape to use if in fact that is the issue.
I can't thank you guys enough for the expert help, suggestions, and knowledge. Love this site for all the $$$ that I have saved over the years.
Thanks!!
Sami

4-5 turns of teflon tape works best. Be careful not to overtighten plastic fittings because you can crack them. Probably not on a 2" unless you go crazy; just don't go crazy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teflon tape comes in multiple grades and thickness, I find I get a much better seal when I use a thicker variety, these often are in a color other than white (blue, pink, yellow), then use fewer wraps, maybe 2 to 3 max. These color codes mean things, yellow is gas rated, .... For pool size plumbing my first pick is Blue Monster teflon tape, although any of the thicker teflon tapes are better than the cheap white stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.