New Pool Started - New England ? Re Deck Work

cuppa

Aug 31, 2016
Duxbury, MA
Hello. We just started a new build in MA yesterday 18 X 36 permacrete, with full width stair. Just looking for the opinion of the members on pouring the deck after the liner and water goes in. I want to get the pool in and wrapped up before winter and let the area settle on one corner we have a 5' lift or filled area. So I am looking to have that settle before we have the concrete or paver done. I have the option of waiting until spring for the pool to be finished but, do want it dragged out over winter with an open hole, with no liner etc. the installer is concerned about installing the liner with out a debris free deck installed. Has any one done the deck after the pool?

Also anyone have expedience with Techo block installed Cost?

Thank you

Doesn't sound like he compacted that 5 foot "lift" in the one corner. If that's what he's expecting to settle, he won't be disappointed.

Problem is, you can't rely on Mother Nature to do your compaction for you. If that five feet of fill is clayey soil, it'll settle for a few years if it wasn't compacted in lifts going in. Just look at the finish grade around the foundations of most new-construction houses in the Midwest after a few years. They all back-pitch toward the foundation wall within the first five years.

We are installing same type of pool on LI NY. We are opting to do liner and prep work this year and put down pavers in April. Sort of hate the idea of covering a brand new pool but that is the trade off of doing a pool late in the season. I might throw one of the kids in before we close ( just kidding they will probably push me in) PB is going to grade the property. Pavers are going to be installed on top of 4" concrete which will be attached to pool walls. We are going with Cambridge pavers. I would ask to see some older jobs using techno block just to make sure your happy with them as they age. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did what you describe. Dug the pool and installed the liner and filled it with water in the fall. We covered it up for the winter and then the contractor came in the Spring to regrade and pour the concrete decking. I was happy with the results.

As someone who had a vinyl liner pool built and waited a year to do the decking I can say it was a good move. Backfill will settle if it's just ordinary dirt regardless of how much compaction you do. I've heard of crushed stone as backfill but why pay to truck dirt away and then pay for gravel so most use dirt. Builders by me use one winter as a general rule so you don't need a year, really just a few months with average precipitation will be fine. Complete the pool now so it's ready to open when you want to swim (which can be before you finish the decking if there are delays next season).

I put techo bloc blue 60 mm in and am very happy with it. I got three estimates and they averaged about $15.50 per square foot installed. Note that you can't simply go by sq ft but at least this gives you an idea as to what to expect. I paid $15.30 per sq ft where they installed and it was level ground and $16.50 per sq where they needed gravel fill to grade the area 18-20 inches (replaced a deck). The price difference was for the fill. See my before and after pics. If you have any specific question please let me know.

27256463444_22bc4f920a_c.jpg

27833785256_c4f0613c7b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.