CH at 1500, TA at 240 and PH rising

csterg

Oct 29, 2007
Hello,
i am living in an area where the water has a very high CH.
My pool at the moment has CH:1500 and TA:240 (and CYA:0).
My main problem is that the PH keeps rising all the time. I read that i need to lower the TA.
I would like to know if the very high CH plays a role in this behavior.

Since this is a pool with tiles (and last year there was a lot of staining around the water line which i removed after emptying the pool), what can i do to prevent this? Replacing water will not help as the high CH is because of the water in the area,

Also is CH connected with TA?

Thank you,
Costas

Welcome to TFP!

It is extremely difficult to manage a pool with CH levels above 1200, you need to keep extremely tight control over the PH to prevent calcium scaling. With your current levels, the PH needs to be keep below 7.4 to prevent calcium scaling. If you can lower the TA level significantly, you will have a somewhat wider range that PH can be in, but there will still be significant risk of calcium scaling as long as CH is that high.

CH has no direct effect on PH. High TA levels, on the other hand, tend to cause PH to rise rapidly.

PH, TA, and CH all contribute to the likelihood of calcium scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.