Pool school

Jul 13, 2014
Baytown Tx
Good afternoon all! I finally have a beautiful pool in my backyard. I'm now trying to be a pool school grad and want to get away from pucks and go to liquid chlorine. I have a little algae and want to try the SLAM process but don't have my TF100 kit yet(just ordered today). When I use the strips, my CYA registers on the high side of normal based on strip color. All of the other chemicals are the right color, but not sure how accurate they are. Since my kit won't arrive for a couple of days, what treatment would you recommend until I get it? Brush, vacuum and shock??

pool 091316 edit.jpg

As a note, I'm in the Houston, Tx area. Excited for some cooler weather! I appreciate any help/advice you have. :)

Hello! :wave: Just hang-tight for now. Brush and vacuum like normal is fine. Definitely remove the pucks if you haven't done so already. Add about 1 gallon of bleach each day and brush the pool surfaces. No need to do too much more until your kit arrives. You might also inspect any other areas where algae could become trapped like behind a light, or along your waterfall edge. Nice looking pool.

Don't worry about the test strips, matter of fact just throw them away. I'd add 1/2 gallon of bleach every day until your test kit comes. Don't add any "shock" or anything other than bleach for now. Adding the bleach with the pump running and brushing will keep the monster at bay until your test kit arrives.

Thanks so much for your help! We've managed to keep the pool very clear all summer; this algae just started Sunday. It's funny how water goes from clear to a little cloudy with a green tint overnight. Until now maintenance has been a breeze. We had an above ground pool before this and it was awful to keep up with. BUT I should have followed pool school advice from the beginning - live and learn!

I'll keep you updated on the progress. And I'm sure I'll have questions when the kit gets here but I'm excited to be doing things the right way.

Good afternoon! Still working on the pool, I checked chemicals with strips(Mr Bruce, I'm going to throw them away as soon as my kit comes) and PH/alkalinity is starting to change to the high colors. Should I add muriatic acid or just continue with bleach/brushing/vacuuming? BTW, we are adding water and vacuuming to waste to bring down CYA. It's looking much better today. Here is a pic from a few mins ago. I looked at the pic I posted yesterday and the pool color looks different bc it was late in the afternoon so it looks more blue. Hubby sent this one to me and it's closer to the actual color.

pool 092816.jpg

Advice on muriatic acid, please. Thanks for your help!

That does look good. You certainly can adjust pH as needed while you wait for your test kit to arrive. You will be adjusting pH to 7.2 "before" starting a SLAM and increasing FC over 10 as required anyways. No need to get to wrapped-up on TA until later. Enjoy this gorgeous TX day.

Good evening all! Sorry it took so long to get back. Test kit arrived and while we have learned a lot we are having trouble keeping PH & TA in line. We are still having some algae problem although pool is very clear. We've had to add water and vacuum to waste 3 days in a row which causes PH & TA to stay high due to new water. Here are this morning reads:

FC. 4
PH. 7.8
TA. 220
CYA 45

We brushed then vacuumed to waste. Then added 1 gal muriatic acid. I haven't tested again but will soon. I just brushed steps & can see light green water so I know algae is present. Should I go ahead & add bleach even though PH & TA are really high or try to get that in line? Everything I read in pool school says balance those before SLAM.

As always thanks for the help! We're gonna beat this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.