closing but not covering

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
I think this year I'm going to leave my pool uncovered during the winter instead of using the mesh safety cover we got with the pool and used last year. I have no idea what brand of cover it is, but I doubt very much it is a UV blocking one. My pool plumbing is simple and not very efficient due to the original owner of my house trying to build his pool as cheaply as possible. I have a removable unit that hangs over the edge of my pool and contains a skimmer and a return jet. This is the only plumbing my pool has, and there is about a 10 foot run of pvc from that skimmer contraption to the equipment pad.

My plan is to wait till the water gets into the 60's, then remove the skimmer/return jet setup and blow out the lines, drain pump/filter to winterize. But I don't feel like messing with a cover. For one thing, we put up a safety fence around the pool, so we don't need the safety the cover used to provide us for our toddler. In addition it is a pain, and we'd rather see blue water than a green cover all winter.

My questions is about chlorine consumption of the pool when the water gets below 60. I've read over and over that it goes way down when the pool is covered...but what about when it isn't covered? Surely it won't be much worse, will it?

In the winter when the sun is at a lower angle, coupled with the cooler weather and colder water, FC consumption does indeed slow way down. Once your water temp stays below 60, you may only test or add FC every few days ... perhaps once a week or so. You'll see a pattern. In my area when the water temp goes below 50 or so, my FC stays fairly stable for many days requiring very little effort. Still full sun, but not nearly as intense and chilly water helps it hold much better.

Appreciate the feedback all. My hope is that it'll be about as maintenance free was it was when I covered it. Last winter to close it I threw in some granular shock, polyquat, drained about a foot of water, and then covered it. When I opened this year I started with the TFP method, and will obviously proceed to close differently this year. I just hoped to hear once winter came around my chemical maintenance wouldn't be too demanding. Who am I kidding, I'll probably be dying to test the water after a few days.

@Texas Splash, I grew up on the other side of San Antonio in Hondo. I didn't even realize the water got that cold in that area. I guess I never measured it back then.

@Texas Splash, I grew up on the other side of San Antonio in Hondo. I didn't even realize the water got that cold in that area. I guess I never measured it back then.
ha ha. Small world. Good luck and let us know how things turn-out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.