New pool first full test results

defasum

Bronze Supporter
Aug 13, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
I have a new pool that was just released to me by the PB last week. Went trough pool school. I ran through all of the tests on the TF-100 and here are my results. I have a chlorine in-line feeder and will need to purchase 3" pucks soon.

I am a 1st time pool owner and interested in learning the best method to keep my pool running properly.

FC: 9
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 225
CYA: 90

I am a bit concerned at how high my CYA level is already. Is this because I am using pucks? Water looks very clear to me. Would it be best if I stop using the in-line feeder and just add bleach? I don't want to be fighting the CYA and end up having to drain my pool.

I appreciate any feedback and guidance. I really want to start off on the right foot and maintain a Trouble Free Pool!

This picture is from the deepest part of the pool at 5.5 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 32
Yes, your CYA is way too high because of the pucks. It would be best to replace about 1/2 your water to get that down to a manageable number like 50. Otherwise the minimum FC is 4.

If you despise the thought of adding bleach every 1-2 days, a SWG is a great option.

Thank for the quick response MR. Bruce. I re-tested the FC & CC as well as tested the CYA with the secondary method of adding tap water since my reading was so high.
FC: 13
CC: 0
CYA: 80

The results I posted earlier were from Sunday. I set the in-line feeder to the minimum level. Is there a way to disable it? I have pucks in there now. I don't mind adding bleach manually every day. My problem with replacing the water is that we just filled the pool for the first time last week. There is no chlorine smell in the pool at the moment.

The water looks great but I also don't want to have a problem later. I am incline to remove the pucks that are in there now and just add bleach from now on. As long as I keep the FC level to the target on the CYA chart and stop using the pucks will I really need to replace the water?

Thanks for the advice, I'm a newbie to this and just want to get it right.

I agree with Bruce. You need to stop using those tabs now.

It costs about $50 bucks to fill up a pool here in the DFW area. You would be money ahead to just do it and get it over with.

Following the FTP way means that you should never have that "chlorine smell".

When you add liquid chlorine, you just pour it in front of an operating return, do not add it to your puck feeder.

Jim R.

With a very high CYA level, your minimum FC goes up as well, meaning you are adding much more bleach than if your CYA was lower.
So while a partial drain will cost you some $$, if you don't you will spend that same money (maybe more) putting excess bleach in to maintain proper balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.