Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing and long hose

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing and long hose

I have to run a 50 foot hose to backwash. I just did it for the 1st time yesterday. Is there something I am missing, or is it normal to have a 50 foot hose full of water when I am done? Is there some easy way that has not occurred to me to drain the hose?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing and long hose

You can start at the filter and pick the hose up and let it slide across your shoulder as you walk to the end. Far easier just to hard plumb the drain into a ditch or storm water drain.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Approximately how much water is lost per backwash? I was thinking of draining the water into a large bucket or something? Is there any real harm in the water remaining in the hose till next time?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar
    Approximately how much water is lost per backwash? I was thinking of draining the water into a large bucket or something? Is there any real harm in the water remaining in the hose till next time?
    I wouldn't think so,I never drain mine.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.