Q on how to set VSP speed when heater on (automatically)

robtx

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
Greetings,

I have iAquaLink setup on my pool with a ePump and a 400k heater. Now that it's cooling off, how do I go about setting the main pump to be at a specific speed when the heater is on? The installer set something up similar for the cleaner, but I'm not sure how he did it. IIRC it is somehow related to a empty Aux, but it's not clear to me.

Currently working: Nothing going on, main ePump at low speed (between 1250 and 1750, depending on how I feel that week...set via Schedule)
Currently working: Cleaner turns on and main pump goes to 2750, returns to low speed (above) when done.
Want: Heater on, main pump to 2500-3000 while heating, back to low speed when off (above).

Any ideas? I've been manually setting the pump speed when I turn the "Set Temp" on during the summer...but I want something a bit more automated for the fall (and to protect the heater...i don't want to have the speed to low and possibly damage the heater core due to not enough flow)

(and to protect the heater...i don't want to have the speed to low and possibly damage the heater core due to not enough flow)

I don't know Jandy system programming but your last statement is not possible in a properly functioning heater. They have flow limit switches (pressure switches) that will cut off the heater if the flow is too low. Most heaters operate in a high flow bypass mode anyway where a good fraction of the intake water flows directly to the outlet and only a smaller fraction is diverted to the heater core. This ensures that the maximum amount of heat transfer is happening. Since this is the case, having a higher flow rate makes no difference as water flow above the diverter's limit will simply pass out of the heater.

Your pool builder should be the one you call, tell them you need help understanding your aqua link, i always explain to new pool owners during the initial start up of there new pool, read the manuals, call the builder with questions, play with the aqua link controls and programing menus to learn, don't be afraid to screw it up, ask questions !!

You need an orientation face to face to help you learn it, one of the things i can tell you is when the installer programmed the cleaner run times, part of the programming also included " when cleaner turns on what rpm do you want cleaner to run at?" then you should see the motor rpm setting for it, along with something like " cleaner on at 9pm...to...3am...motor speed 2450rpm" you should be able to go to settings, find heater programming, then "when heater is on, pump will run at 2450rpm" so even if you want to put the heater on a schedule like "heater on"...5pm...to..5am when the aqua link recognizes a call for heater it also selects the rpm for it to run at,etc,etc.

There are a lot of people that are intimidated by aqua link set ups, i have customers that never touch there indoor panels or pda's, wireless, etc. they just leave it set the way it runs and never touch it.
I have had elderly, wealthy home owners in Scottsdale, etc, that pay me to remove all of the pool automation equipment and install intermatic time clocks, etc, because it is to confusing for them to understand.

You have to read, read, read, and work the functions of the controls etc, and stay on top of it until it makes sense and you become comfortable navigating through the various menu layers,etc.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I found the connection between main pump and cleaner, it's a Virtual Switch (of sorts) that's assigned to an empty Aux. I was thinking of doing the same for the heater, but it sounds like that's not required.

I'm a tinkerer, so I've already modified most of the settings, but I'm just not 100% certain on the virtual circuits and didn't want to slag my heater to test it; or accidentally assign it on a used Aux and have some unknown outcome.

Thanks for all the input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.