Pool company says they need to add Winterset and Anti-freeze for pool closing

Jun 29, 2016
North Adams, MA
Hiya TFP people-

Well since joining the community I've done a great job of maintaining my pool chemistry. My pool is scheduled to close this pm. I have still retained my company to help me with this as I can't handle the cover myself.

Free Chlorine: 3.5
Combined Chlorine - none/trace
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
Calcium Hardness: 180
CYA: 96
Salinity: 2800ppm

The pool company says it wants to put in Winterset - a cold weather algaecide and Anti-freeze. I live in a place that gets pretty cold during the winters (Hills of Western Connectictut). Are these products necessary? I'm sure the antifreeze is. Asking more about the Winterset. It's from Phoenix Pool products and its not on their site. I just want to know as much about the proper procedure as possible.

How are my levels for closing of the other chemicals?

Thank you.

Hiya TFP people-

Well since joining the community I've done a great job of maintaining my pool chemistry. My pool is scheduled to close this pm. I have still retained my company to help me with this as I can't handle the cover myself.

Free Chlorine: 3.5
Combined Chlorine - none/trace
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
Calcium Hardness: 180
CYA: 96
Salinity: 2800ppm

The pool company says it wants to put in Winterset - a cold weather algaecide and Anti-freeze. I live in a place that gets pretty cold during the winters (Hills of Western Connectictut). Are these products necessary? I'm sure the antifreeze is. Asking more about the Winterset. It's from Phoenix Pool products and its not on their site. I just want to know as much about the proper procedure as possible.

How are my levels for closing of the other chemicals?

Thank you.
I close my AGP with just chlorine. Sorry no help on the antifreeze as I just blow out the lines after draining below the return.

If you CYA is 100ppm (how did you get 96ppm with the K2006?), your minimum FC is 5ppm, with your daily target at 8ppm (for SWG pool). You really should get that FC up right away.

I close my AGP with just chlorine. Sorry no help on the antifreeze as I just blow out the lines after draining below the return.

If you CYA is 100ppm (how did you get 96ppm with the K2006?), your minimum FC is 5ppm, with your daily target at 8ppm (for SWG pool). You really should get that FC up right away.

I meant cya of 90. Mistake thanks. Will turn on superchlorinate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anti-freeze is OPTIONAL to put into the lines after blowing out all the water. It's not essential but is good insurance. As long as the lines are blown out well, antifreeze is just insurance in case the lines leak water into them over the winter.

Putting half a gallon of antifreeze in each plugged skimmer, with the remainder left inside the bottle, also in the skimmer is RECOMMENDED.

Algaecides are even more optional than antifreeze. If you close with the pool water less than 60 degrees, bring the FC up to shock level for your CYA and cover with a winter cover, you should open clean in the spring with or without algaecide. Can also be thought of as insurance rather than required. The only algaecide I would ever recommend is a polyquat-60 based algaecide. NEVER algaecides containing any copper of any kind. Check the label. If you don't know what's in it, don't put it in your pool.

ee64b43707b246d8aa15c8eadd684a48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.