Is vacuuming required?

Aug 22, 2016
Martinez
Bit of a newbie here - 23,5K gal shotcrete pool, water is in balance and the dead salt cell has recently been replaced and is up and running (YAY!).

With everything now in place, I'm taking over the cleaning from the pool company. That currently entails skimming the surface, cleaning the filter baskets, and scrubbing the sides and bottom of the pool.

I rarely have leaves in the pool, and the polaris does a good job of getting up any other leaves or pine needles do get in the bottom.

I do NOT have a vacuum and was wondering if this is something that I'll need to get in order to ensure that the pool stays in good condition? Am I playing with fire if I don't vacuum regularly?

Basically you need a weighted vacuum head, a pole, a long hose, and a skimmer adapter to plug the hose in. I have a vinyl pool and have a vacuum head designed for it so sorry I can't recommend one to you. I too have a Polaris pressure side cleaner and while it does an admirable job it just doesn't get everywhere and i have a few dead spots that it misses. I rarely vacuum however due to little to no debris in the pool. When I have vacuumed I've done it at night with the pool lights on, that's really only when I can see the type of debris that my Polaris misses.

OR I have been using this
Water Tech LVAC100 Swimming Pool Blaster Battery Powered Hoseless Leaf Vacuum

for the past 3 years and LOVE IT! Around $100 WalMart, Amazon - all you need are 8 AA batteries (I replace mine 1x month) Have 19000 gal AG and don't have to deal with hose, skimmer blocking with leaves, etc. Handles everything that ends up on floor. (wish I knew how to add pic :)) Check it out.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.