Ants eating tiny holes in liner.....

Jul 29, 2016
Jackson, GA
Hello,
This is my first year with an 24ft round above ground pool and it has not been an easy first year. It first started about 2 months into summer and our pool was leaking. Figured out it was tiny holes that were created by ants. The thing is, we have a pool cove and one of those pool liner pads under the liner as well that is supposed to prevent ants and rocks from getting to the liner... so how are the ants getting to the liner? Its so freaking frustrating because as soon as we patched the already 11 holes, more appeared! We are replacing the liner next spring but I want to get a head start and get some ideas on how to prevent the holes in the new one. Hubby spread some ant killer before the first holes which obviously didn't help and after patching the first holes he spread more ant killer around the pool and more holes appeared.... what are we doing wrong? Any advice would be helpful!

One downside of a well prepared pool base is that it makes and excellent home for ants. Ants can chew threw solid wood, a layer of heavy vinyl will only slow them down slightly. My PB suggested being vigilant about treating the base of the pool multiple times a year to discourage ants from making a home under the pool. When you replace your liner give your self an extra bit of time to treat the area under the pool really well with ant spray.

Get a pump sprayer. Go here: Do It Yourself Pest Control Products & Supplies | Do My Own Pest Control. BifenXTS is $27.50 per quart and uses 1 qt per 100 gallons of water. It also is a great termiticide. Spray around the liner, though once they are well entrenched under it, getting to them becomes tricky. You may end up replacing the liner anyway if the infestation is too great. If so, treat the ground and pad first, let it dry then keep the perimeter sprayed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.