FC level at closing

May 24, 2016
Coram, NY
Hello guys,

I am closing my pool for the first time myself. I am getting the water levels balanced and currently my chlorine is at 5. The pool store told me let my level get back to normal before closing the pool. What do you guys think? I thought I had to raise it a bit more and leave it higher than normal for closing? Will the high level of FC kill algaecide if I use it?

Thanks

I would bring the FC to SLAM value just as you close. Yes, the FC will consume some of the algaecide. Algaecide is optional as the reports we get of helpfulness are varied. Others with more closing experience than I have may have observed different results.

Recommend sticking with your Taylor CYA results. If your CYA test is 55 or above, round-up to 60. If closer to 50, then go with that. So your SLAM FC level would be either 20 or 24 depending on that result. Let that SLAM level circulate for a day or two in the chilly water to ensure organics are eliminated. Once you've done that, then add the algaecide. As Dave noted, if you add the algaecide right away, the elevated FC will probably reduce its effectiveness. Also make sure your water temp is below 60 for good this season. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.