Spa Frog

We have been using the spa frog for our tub for dispersing the chemicals, it was given to us when we bought the tub new. Just wondering if this is the best way to keep the balance correct. Seems simple but not ver cost effective, just wondering what other owners thoughts are, thanks.

I don't think you will get many recommendations of the spa frog on here. I too had the spa frog and found that I could never get a sufficient bromine level. Also, the mineral cartridge seems to dump a lot of metal ions into the spa causing discoloration of the water no mater what I did. Like you mentioned, the cost of the cartridges get fairly expensive as well. I came to this forum after really struggling with the spa frog in my brand new spa. The experts on here recommended I switch to the dichlor bleach method for the ease of operation and cost, both of which I was looking for as this is our first ever spa. Also, I was using test strips to test the water. I found out later of course that they are very hard to read and frankly just not that accurate. My struggles brought me to this site and I have not been happier. I have been using the Dichlor bleach method for three months and I love the ease of use. Daily addition of bleach along w water testing and I have crystal clear water. Yes it requires almost daily attention, but I feel that is a small investment of my time to not have any problems in my water.

Just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a Marquis Promise spa installed in my pool area (for the winter months!). It came with the Frog Spa system built in (all Marquis do). My spa guy gave me all the chemicals as part of the boot up and quickly told me he recommends switching to dichlor once the first frog cartridge wears out. Said it is much cheaper and very easy to do. He recommends to people that in tubs that it is an option, not to spend the money. But, like I said, it comes automatically with the Marquis so there was no opt out.

FWIW, I've only been running mine since Saturday but so far the frog system seems to be working fine. But at $10-$13 cost per replacement cartridge every 3 or 4 weeks, I think I can do better!

The frog packs have two parts, one is a mineral cartridge, the other is grannular bromine. So in essence its overpriced bromine in a fancy yellow cartridge.

What they don't tell you about bromine, is that it stays in the tub after it gets used up. If you add an oxidizer, you can reactivate the bromine over and over again. Instead of wasting money on more frog cartridges, spend it on either an oxidizing shock with potassium monopersulfate as its main ingredient, or bleach. Both are effective oxidizers and will allow you to reactivate the bromine in your tub. Bleach comes with the added advantage that it is both an oxidizer and sanitizer. Of course then you have to ask yourself if it is the bromine doing all the work or the bleach, and sooner or later you realize that for about $3/gallon, you can't beat bleach.

You could use dichlor as well, but it brings with it all the issues associated with stabilized chlorine. The cyanuric acid level will build up over time and eventually the dichlor will no longer be effective, and you will probably have to replace your water.

I run most of my tubs with bromine and MPS, and for the more difficult tubs (usually rentals that get overused and abused) I will also add bleach. If I were doing it for my own tub, I would probably stick with Bromine and bleach.

In this thread, several highly respected members of this forum advise against mixing bromine and chlorine. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but perhaps one of them will explain it further.

I can't get rid of CYA

In this thread, several highly respected members of this forum advise against mixing bromine and chlorine. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but perhaps one of them will explain it further.

I can't get rid of CYA
In an outdoor pool we recommend not adding bromine as it can't be removed from the water and is not affected by CYA so it burns off much faster in sunlight and also causes problems in finding the proper sanitizer level.

In a spa chlorine can absolutely be used to recharge bromine. When added the chlorine will react with the sodium bromide to create bromine.

And to answer an earlier question, 1 ppm of chlorine will create 2.25 ppm of bromine assuming the bromide bank is adequate.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.