Hayward Pro Grid filter leakeing DE into pool...

eelhc

May 30, 2007
Uh oh...

I went through my normal opening procedure this season (filter up and running, keep it shocked with Bleach until no CC, balance water, fire up the SWG).

I am seeing in the pool a powedery white stuff floating around which I suspect is DE. Particularly evident when the pump/filter first starts up.

I can take the filter apart pretty easily and take the grid assembly out. But how do I look for and find leaks? Are there any other areas besides the grid I should be looking at?

This problem is almost always caused by a tear in the grid fabric, though it is possible for a pipe to crack inside the filter or a joint to not seal correctly. You should be able to spot a tear if you look at each grid closely.

I have this exact problem. When the filter first starts up, the jets spit out a "poof" of DE. After running for a few seconds, it stops. When vacuuming the pool I always notice a very thin layer of DE at the shallow end, where the jets closest to the pump are located. When lat cleaning the DE grid I noticed at least one small tear the the very top of the grid.

The tears I have are pretty small and are accessible. Anyone ever sew up a tear in a DE grid?

toadlife said:
I have this exact problem. When the filter first starts up, the jets spit out a "poof" of DE. After running for a few seconds, it stops. When vacuuming the pool I always notice a very thin layer of DE at the shallow end, where the jets closest to the pump are located. When lat cleaning the DE grid I noticed at least one small tear the the very top of the grid.

The tears I have are pretty small and are accessible. Anyone ever sew up a tear in a DE grid?

I've repaired many plastic cracks with 2 part marine epoxy putty... available at most hardware stores and sold on TV infomercials as Mighty Putty. If the tear is small enough (couple of inches or so), you can probably apply a thin coat of the stuff (work fast) and make a permanent fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.