Programmable or wifi switches?

Sep 24, 2016
Germantown
This could be a dumb question. I'm not an electrician. My pump is a 1hp AO Smith that is presently on a generic toggle switch. Is it possible to swap that out for a programmable or wifi capable switch? Versus buying a timer or super expensive control center?

This is an example of how you could switch a pump remotely -

Remote Controlled Heavy Duty Switch 60 Amp, 240VAC Relay - SmartHomeUSA.com

It's basically a 240VAC relay that is activated by a 120VAC control signal. If you power this relay using WiFi plug adapter (like a WeMo switch), then the WiFi controlled outlet will activate or deactivate the relay.

It's still probably going to cost you ~$200 when all is said and done so I'm not sure how much something like this is going to save you over just installing a standard Intermatic timer box. Not to mention the usual problems with WiFi related gadgets - when the router goes down, nothing works....

Do you already have a home automation system that you want to extend to the pump operation?

If so, then we can figure out how to interface with it. If not then it's probably not going to be any less expensive than a dedicated timer, as Matt said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.