Algae and the dogs are not happy

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
This is my first time getting algae in 2 yrs. Due to health I was not keeping up with the nightly chlorine but the dogs continued to swim. The algae isn't too bad. I have some questions.

Here are my test numbers

FC 5
CC 0.5
TC 5.5
500 TA this never changes and it's a factor of our city well water
CYA 50
pH 8.2

When I put in the pool math to check the amount of muriatic acid to change pH the amount of MA changes when I record the TA 500 vs 100. 28 oz of 14 % MA vs 126 oz MA if TA is 500.
Any idea which way to go? I think my goal is to lower the pH prior to SLAMing. I was told to ignore the TA as I can't change it.

I bought the bleach and will start adding tonight. It's very cold here at night 45 degrees, days in 80's So there is no climbing in the pool to scrub. I have been using a soft broom on the walls and my usual log pole that has a bristle brush for the middle. I have wedding cake stairs so I will take those out BUT I have a very very sneaky 14 y.o dog who tries to get in the pool as well as a 2 y.o lab who launches over the side where ever. I have the stairs barricaded but I worry he could get in and not out. I have a spare ladder ( no algae nooks and crannies) I can put in maybe to at least give him a platform.

I usually have the filter run on low 24/7 and only use high for chemical mixing and cleaning. Is that ok to do SLAM on low?

When I have been vacuuming the pool the brown stuff seems to go right through to the return jet-just a bit. I back washed and rinsed and still the next day see lots of brown crud on the bottom. Because we live on the prairie and the wind blows we expect sand in the pool bottom a bit but this brown stuff from the jet is not making me happy.

I will be attempting the SLAM, lol best I can. I have a brain problem and it's often hard understand stuff. I will be closing the pool down soon. Last year I closed it very clean and opened it sparkling thank you TFPs. I was proud.

Any suggestion welcome.

Teresa

Only put in the lesser of MA and about 4 hours later check PH to see if any changes occurred. If still high, or no change them increase accordingly. You are better not lowering your PH too much by adding to much acid. The TA may affect he amount. Worst case is an extra gallon lost because of trial and error. Your PH should be lowered prior to the SLAM. Thanks

The pool is clearing better than I had hoped. I added more bleach to bring it back up to SLAM. It dropped to 16 and by the math it should be 20. I scrubbed walls and vacuumed it once yesterday and today-very tiring. Back washed, rinsed and added more water to pool. The pH is not the best but it's better. I added more muriatic acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.