Pool closing - High CYA

Jun 10, 2016
La Plata, MD
Hello pool experts. As I'm getting ready to close the pool, I have a question regarding my water. My CYA levels were rocket high this year (just started BBB this season), and the best I got it down to was 80/90. I've just been maintaining the water at that level. So, with closing and my levels being that high, is there anything different that I need to do? Or is it simply a matter of shocking at that high level before beginning? (I'm looking forward to the partial drain, which will help me get the CYA under more control next season!)

I have lots more questions, trying to figure all this closing stuff (wish I'd paid attention when the pool company came out last year). But, one step at a time.

Thanks so much for not including fifteen issues in your post. Learning the issues one step at a time keeps everything in focus.

Yeah, so bring your pool to the SLAM value for a CYA of 80/90. Than add polyquat 60 (optional but many people report success) and close it up.

Is your water temp below 60 degrees?

Sorry, yes, I know. SLAM, not shock. I just used the wrong terminology.

No, the waters not consistently at 60 degrees yet. This is the first week it is starting to get cold. So I'm keeping an eye on it and waiting.

Is the polyquat 60 purchased online or at the pool store?

Is the polyquat 60 purchased online or at the pool store?
Either way. I have never used it myself but I hear on this forum no advantage to purchasing one place or the other.

Probably the most important information that has evolved for closing is the importance of closing late and opening earlier.....watch that pool temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.