Bleach concentration an American thing?

The percentage is generally in very small print on the label, so you do have to search carefully; I often miss it on first glance. Low strength bleach (like you might find at the dollar store) seems more likely to be unlabeled as to concentration.

However, I have the vague feeling that I have heard your comment from other Canadian posters in the past... Hopefully other Canadians will chime in.

The percentage is generally in very small print on the label, so you do have to search carefully; I often miss it on first glance. Low strength bleach (like you might find at the dollar store) seems more likely to be unlabeled as to concentration.

However, I have the vague feeling that I have heard your comment from other Canadian posters in the past... Hopefully other Canadians will chime in.

I have a bottle of Clorox and a No Name brand at home. I can't find anything on either label.
Guess they have no room after having to print everything again in French.

Interesting, I would think they would need to label it with the percentage of sodium hypochlorite somewhere. Some of the cheap, no name bleach in the US isn't labeled but pretty much everything else is.

Interesting, I would think they would need to label it with the percentage of sodium hypochlorite somewhere. Some of the cheap, no name bleach in the US isn't labeled but pretty much everything else is.

Product labeling requirements, especially for hazardous chemicals, is usually dictated by local laws & regulations. Once the chemical reaches a certain strength it would be considered hazardous, but anything under that threshold may not fall under labeling requirements. Heck, the water that flows into my house from the municipal water supply has chlorine in it at XX ppm. Labeling is only "required" once deemed hazardous.

Laws differ in Canada, Mexico, USA, Europe or anywhere else for that matter. A requirement in one country or locality may not exist in another locality. Even within the USA, there are certain labeling & shipping restrictions for specific States for hazardous chemicals. It may depend on strength or overall amount packaged, etc. This likely explains why low strength products are not labeled, simply because they don't need to be.

A marketing group of a product may not want to state the strength (or lack of...) if they are not mandated to do so. Look at most labels, most are designed / written around trying to sell a product. For the vast population of users, how many really need to know what percentage of Sodium Hypochlorite is in the bleach. I would guess that few really care or know enough to look for the difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.