Advice on New Equipment (Pump, Filter, & Heater)

Gigem94

Gold Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hi TFP, I'd like some help on replacing all of my equipment as it is quite vintage and I think I can get some newer equipment that would be more efficient and better performing. Here's what I have:

Pump - Challenger 2HP (SF 2.20), single speed. Has a dribble leak, likely the seal which I have replaced within the last year. Consumes lots of electricity and set to runs 9hrs/day.
Filter - Triton sand. Works fine I guess, replaced sand within last year. After backwash I do get a small amount of sand into pool from time to time. Want to get better filtration.
Heater - Pentair Minimax NT 400K. Still works, but error codes on it are a pain to troubleshoot. Mostly use it to heat spa and will continue. May heat pool once/yr.
Stenner - just installed 2wks ago and it works great (no issues here)
Switch - along with Stenner install, I also installed Intermatic PE1353ME 3 circuit switch to give better accuracy for CL dosing and main pump on/off (no issues here). Was an upgrade from the T104 mechanicals. Wiring was easy.

I've briefly surfed TFP and beleive I should get the following:
Pump - 2 speed over a variable speed, as the break even on a VS is much longer. Assuming that's correct, what brand/model do you recommend? Do I stay with a 2HP or can I drop?
Filter - I understand DE would be optimal as it provides best filtration. I prefer to backwash which is why I wouldn't choose cartridge. What brand, size, etc should I get?
Heater - I plan to stay with 400K btu. What advice can you offer here?

I assume I should update all of my valves at the same time, especially those metal ones. Here's a pic of my current setup: IMG_2572 | Eqpt | Mike | Flickr

I spoke with an installer who suggested I try to stay with a single manufacturer as I might get a better bundle price and warranty options. I've got a connection to a friend in the industry and can get the equipment at wholesale pricing.

I appreciate the advice anyone can provide.

Thanks!

I will give a shot at answering some of your questions,

First on the pump if you don't have any water features then yes you can get away with a much smaller pump, either a 1 or 1.5 HP 2 speed or a small variable speed such as the Hayward MaxFlo VS should work well for you (note there are 2 versions of the MaxFlo VS one has relay connection to allow outside control and speed switching, one is strictly stand along). Check for state rebates or tax incentives on VS pumps, also these smaller VS pumps that have shown up on the market in the last couple of years are much more price competitive with 2 speed pumps vs the big intelliflo's.

On filters I like DE, after switching from a sand filter a few years back, there is no way I would go back, of course other people feel just the opposite, so filters are very much a personal preference item. I have one of the bumpable Hayward Perflex DE filters, which works well for me, having said that if I were to buy a new one I would strongly consider one of the Pentair Quad DE models. There is nothing really wrong with the Hayward Perflex, however they do tend to have high operating back pressure, and operating pressure must be checked frequently to see if they need "bumping"

I can't say much about gas heaters since I don't own one, however Raypack seems to be the highest regarded brand around here by far.

Ike

15K gal rectangle with 1K gal spill over round spa
With a spa, you will want to stick with a pump the same size you have now but you can still go with a two speed. You could save quite a bit by just replacing the current motor with a two speed motor. You won't have to change any plumbing either. The leak is likely the seal but you need to change that anyway with a new motor.

I am more of a fix rather than replace guy so if you are interested, you can probably fix your filter/heater as well.

Heater still works, I was just curious what to replace it with once it dies. I've parted it out to keep it going but I'm thinking the exchanger may go within the next few years.

As for the filter, I'm not sure the swap to DE is really going to improve anything. I'm still pretty new to TFP, but ever since I installed the Stenner and have followed the chemistry advice, my water is crystal clear, especially after I run the robot and brush the steps (about every 3 days).

I don't want to spend money if I don't need to, but my last electric bill was $500, and I think the Challenger running at 9hrs is a decent contributor. What do you recommend I do to swap the motor?

EDIT
OK, I did some research and it looks like I need the following to go from single speed to dual speed, but need confirmation from someone who's done this swap. I also am not sure of the impeller or frame size (I know it is square, so it's a Y, just not sure of size).

Current:
Pentair 2HP pump with 1.1SF
Model #: CHII N1 2A
Part#: 346201
Impeller: ?
Frame: ?

Need:
AO Smith
Model: B2984
$390
2HP, SF 1.3
Frame: 56Y

Again, with a spa, you do not want to reduce the size of the impeller. You only need to change the motor plus seals.

You can use the B2984 but the correct size is actually the B2983. Your old motor is 2.2 THP and the B2983 is also 2.2 THP. The frame of the challenger should be a 56Y.

Repair Kits - Pentair Challenger Pool Pump Repair Kit - T-APCKIT5

Completely agree about not wanting to change the size of the impeller. I called INYO yesterday and the guys told me the B2984 was the right replacement. In fact I said the same thing about the THP you stated above. His reply was that the B2983 should not be used with the impeller I have and I would need to swap it out as well. I didn't understand that logic because if they are the same THP, then why would the motor have an issue.

I read this thread too: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/56472-Challenger-2hp-AO-B855-single-upgrade-to-2green/page2 and it sounds like karmabiker went with the B2983 although his signature says B2984 which makes me think he went for the latter. Thots?

As I said before, the B2983 is the correct motor for your setup but you can also use the B2984 since it is rated larger than what you need. THP is the rating used to size motors.

Just a followup, the B2983 worked out perfectly and is so incredibly quiet (on low and high, much more than my old challenger). I only run it on low now for 8hrs (split 3x/day). Hoping to see a big drop in my electric bill. Appreciate the help from everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.