It has been a frustrating year of sand in the pool

Jun 22, 2013
I have never been able to figure out why we get sand in the pool. Lots of sand. We had bought a sand filter for the smaller intex pool before we eventually upgraded to the 18' x 52". I thought maybe it was the sand at first, so I removed the sand, inspected the fingers and found nothing wrong with them. I went to the pool store and got the sand this time. Followed all instructions and when I started it up, blowing sand again.

I finally got mad and got out the smaller sand filter (brand new) that came with the 18' pool. I have had the exact same issue with it. During the week when we were busy, the sand would settle on the bottom of the pool and started growing algae, the brownish colored kind. Its a real pain in the butt.

So after a week of hi chlorine, multiple vacuums and brushing the pool every day it has cleaned up pretty well. But, I have determined that if I leave the pump on 24/7 I get very little sand. It when I stop and start it that it blows a lot of sand in... So, I decided to start over with a better quality pump/filter combination. I can't deal with this again next year. This is the pump/filter I found at what seems to be a decent price.

http://http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/game-75D-SandPro-Above-Ground-Pool-Pump-and-Sand-Filter-Kit/sand-pro-75D.htm?xzm2&ecmpid=aw_pla_search_sand-pro-75D&adtype=paid&gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFWCSi3f3MBstMDiC3P1IdS9AkhVTGYfsLCZdnd-hutfBoCSgbw_wcB

and I also planned to add the skimmer as well.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Hayward-SP1091LX-Skimmer-with-Accessory-Kit-for-Above-Ground-Pools/SP1091LX.htm?cmpid=fbt_38393

I wanted something that had more power and also easier to vacuum the pool. Hopefully managing the pool will be easier next year.

The Mrs is also interested in adding a salt water generator to the setup. What are your thoughts on that, and which model would you suggest from the Intex line of generators?

Thanks for any information!

This is only my opinion, and some will disagree, but having a SWG on this size of pool and worrying about its cost, function, and maintenance does not trump the ease of manual chlorination in this setup. Its just too easy to add liquid chlorine when needed and have fewer worries.

I would encourage you to read up in pool school starting with the ABCs, and get yourself one of the suggested test kits. Using it, and folloing the guidelines we adhere too with all that will keep your pool clean, safe, and Algae free with surprisingly little effort.

Sand is, of course, little tiny rocks. They sink quickly to the bottom and can be easily picked up and are gritty to the touch. Does that describe what you have. Many, many people mistake dead algae for sand. It "poofs" into dust if it is brushed and can't be scooped up.

It sounds like you have dead algae but go capture some of it for us and let us know you have confirmed it is sand.

Its definitely sand... I have used panty hose over the water inlet and captured it. Today I installed the new pump/filter. It has much more flow and more than twice the size of sand filter. It is not blowing sand. but does seem to be blowing some air, and I have yet to figure out where it is getting the air from. My guess is the Intex vacuum relief valves (or whatever they are called) are letting in air. I am going to double check when I get back home. I had to run kids to Karate.

The new pump is 3/4hp and sand filter is 75lb. They are rated at 52GPM. I used the Mystic White II #20 Silica Sand from my local pool store. That is the same (not really the same) sand I had used before.

Thanks for the replies! I am trying to get this all cleaned up to close it down for winter.

The Intex swg works pretty well and isn't very expensive. I used one until lightning took it out. Granted it isn't a super high end unit, but it works. Salt water feels better to me as well as lot of people, so you get two for one!

I love my Intex SWG. The water is nice, never any eye irritation or any fading of swimsuits. I had same problem with my sand filter. I added about 3/4 of Diatomaceous Earth, very slowly to mine. Followed the directions in Pool School. NO problems since then, even with 2 backwashes. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I could be all wet (LOL) but when I installed my first sand filter, I didn't read through the manual carefully, and made a few mistakes with it. For example, I turned the multi port valve in either direction AND didn't turn pump off first... bad idea! I also didn't use the rinse feature properly after backwashung, and I did end up blowing quite a bit of sand in my pool.

I eventually upgraded to the filter and SWG you see in my signature, and this time, I read the manual! No issues at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.