Return Jets in Step Issue (Friends home)

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Below, you will find some pictures of a closed return, open return with a rubber plug, and the front and back of the actual cap that is screwed into the return jet. The threads are broken inside the return housing. Ironically the person who closed the pool today stated that there is air leaking outside the perimeter of the black rubber plug. I have confirmed the leak as we pushed air through the system for a split second with the Cyclone (rubber plug was still intact) and bubbles of air were released. Somehow, the return is designed to be closed without a rubber plug, the rubber plug fits nicely, but not with the cap. You can do either one or the other (if this makes sense).

What I do not understand is the design of this system. There is no way of repairing from inside of the steps and I assume there are threads on the outside of steps, which of course is buried in dirt and concrete. He may lower the water, remove rubber plug, apply silicone all over the inside of the cap and hold from one side to another with a tension bar. I even suggested an "air lock, but there is no shut off valve. I could plug the inside of the basket at the pump, creating an "air lock" after air is blown out again. The only issue with this is that the water would not remain under the frost line, which is 36" (which I have confirmed), but some of the plumbing should be there. Hard to tell because everything is closed off.

Anyone have any thoughts for repair, prevention, etc? You cold lower the water below the return and the safety mesh cover will have a solid cover with a pump so water will not fill up in the pool, but drain away from the pool.

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

That's a weird looking return. Mine are just regular screw in returns. Is the outer section to pull in air like a hot tub jet? The oring in the big cap should seal the whole thing if it could be attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks N240sxguy and KimKats:

This is a strange one and my friends was trying to explain to me what it looked like. Personally, I had to see it for myself so quickly too a ride over there with my Cyclone. I will contact INYO Pools, but the gears are broken and there is a little leak. My returns are all normal and the plugs in the pool stay on the outside, while the plugs in the steps are tucked in about 1", but still create a nice seal. I should order bigger plugs for next year.

I added this in the post so the inquiry can be tracked (at least for me). How pools have gone a long way in construction.

Thank you for contacting us. We have created a traceable support ticket for your issue.

Your ticket number is: 202561

Our customer service department will reply to you by email. You can also check the status of your ticket online by visiting our Support Center.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.