Closing pool for first time- a few questions

Jul 20, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Based on the extensive reading I've done on here and google, I:

- Clean & brush pool
- I've been doing TFP, so I bring water to shock level & maintain for 24 hrs, running pump
- Remove ladder
- Drain water 6" below skimmer
- Heater: drain it and blow out remaining water w/ shop vac, remove drain plug (not sure where that is, but will check)
- Remove all fittings for equipment and blow out water
- Drain cartridge filter, and after blowing out, turn valve to closed or winter (not sure where that is, but will look) and remove pressure gauge
- Put tube in water & put on winter cover

Now, for my questions:
1. I can put a gizmo in the skimmer, but what kind of plugs do I need to buy for the openings I circled on the 2 pictures?
2. The pump is basically attached to the cartridge, so will it be ok being exposed to the the WI winter?
3. Can I use regular float tubes to put in middle of pool, for under winter cover?
4. Should I put a tarp cover over the heater, pump, and cartridge during the winter?
5. Do I need to turn off the gas line supply during the winter or just leave the handle to turned on (not talking about the electrical switch to turn on heater, but the actual lever that is there for emergency turn off, I'm assuming).

Thank you for your help! By the way, ignore the landscaping! That's being done next week ;)

(I have 2 pictures, it wouldn't let me upload the second, so here's the link for second)

http://i66.tinypic.com/2h7ih5k.jpg

IMG_0563.JPG

Now, for my questions:
1. I can put a gizmo in the skimmer, but what kind of plugs do I need to buy for the openings I circled on the 2 pictures?
YOU CAN LEAVE EXPOSED!
2. The pump is basically attached to the cartridge, so will it be ok being exposed to the the WI winter?
YES, THEY ARE DESIGNED TO BE LEFT OUTDOORS.
3. Can I use regular float tubes to put in middle of pool, for under winter cover?
YES, THIS WILL WORK.
4. Should I put a tarp cover over the heater, pump, and cartridge during the winter?
IF YOU WISH, THIS IS ALSO FINE.
5. Do I need to turn off the gas line supply during the winter or just leave the handle to turned on (not talking about the electrical switch to turn on heater, but the actual lever that is there for emergency turn off, I'm assuming).
I DEFINITELY WOULD SHUT OFF THE GAS LINE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.